[Reader-list] Reports of Protests against Israeli Air Strikes in Gaza

Isaac souweine isouweine at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 18:46:32 IST 2008

Dear Shuddha -

Thanks for forwarding this. I have been trying to make some sense of these
events outside of the sadness of lost lives and the chilling spectre of what
I think you rightly call Israeli state terrorism. Some questions that are on
my mind:

1. The current defense minister and spokesmen for the assault (and possible
prime minister come February) is Ehud Barak. Definitely a member of the
elite power structure, but not I think a "Militant Zionist" in the sense
that you use the term below. What is going through the mind of this man? Is
his ultimate goal really the perpetuation of conflict? Or, if his goal is
some lasting, two-state solution, which I believe it probably is (this is
not a stupid man who believes in some fantasy of Palestinian extermination)
how do he and his co-leaders see this attack? What is the true agenda?

2. The protests reported below do not exactly sound like a groundswell. Such
reports aside, one must assume that a viable majority of the country
supports at some level the aggresion of their army. This is not a country
like the US where the army is sequestered form the people, where war can be
foisted on the people with minimal real impact. In Israel, calling up the
reserves means calling up the people, all of them! What then do the people
think? Again, I truly believe tha the majority accepts that a two-state
solution is inevitable and just. How then do they see this helping? If
anyone is reading material that gives insight into mainstream Israeli
opinion on the violence I would love to see it.

3. What vision does Hamas' leadership have for the future of this conflict?
Surely they know that their intentions to exterminate Israel are little more
than a rallying cry. So what then is the strategy? Why the low-level rocket
sniping, which is neither a cease fire nor a hard core militancy (of which
they are surely capable)? Did they perhaps provoke this attack to expose the
rage and terror of the Israeli state, in order to better their very shaky
position in the international community? More generally, what does it mean
when an extremist revolutionary movement is suddenly in charge of governing
nearly a million people? Are Hamas' leaders even in control of their own
fighters?

In summary, I guess I am wondering whether all of this really "demonstrates
the willingness of those who currently hold power in Israeli to sabotage the
chances of a lasting and durable peace with the Palestinian people". Or in
other words - how does the peace vs. security dichotomy truly function in
Israeli political life? What is the meaning of these categories in a country
that takes the possibility of extinction as a core part of its national
identity? I think back to the most recent war in Lebabnon, and how it felt
throughout the violence that the Israeli state was not really animated by
the concerns of the international community, and that Israeli popular
opinion turned against the war not because it was unjust but becuse it was
ineffective and poorly run.

One final aside - I think your paranthetical comment about Hamas's origin is
perhaps ill-advised as it currently sits. It seems to me that it robs the
Palestinians of crucial agency regarding the character of their leadership.
I trust you are correct that Israel played a role in creating a
counter-balance to the PLO, (who would know if not you :-) but to throw this
nugget out without a larger discussion implies a rather too convenient
picture in which Israel makes history while Palestinians just experience it.

Yours,
Isaac