[Reader-list] Arundhati/Mahasweta/Ashish/Girish on Taslima Nasrin

Jeebesh Bagchi jeebesh at sarai.net
Wed Feb 13 16:44:55 IST 2008

dear All,

In this case the question is not about freedom of speech. Taslima is
not a citizen of India, so State in India has no jurisdiction to have
a say on her freedom of speech. The state can persecute her
publishers or ban the book but her freedom of speech is not
guaranteed here.

The question is of "ashraya" (or what is termed as asylum). Every
culture has developed ways of thinking about "ashraya" and very
interesting histories can be uncovered here from all over the world.
It will be interesting how "ashraya" is thought in our times.

warmly
jeebesh