[Reader-list] Plz Correct the misrepresentation of facts in thestatement on Taslima

MRSG mrsg at vsnl.com
Wed Feb 13 19:57:38 IST 2008

The statement by Mahasweta Devi, Arundhati Roy, Ashish Nandy, Girish Karnad
is a glaring example to hide Islamic Fundamentalism. There are a number of
misrepresentations in this
statement. Plz GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT before supproting/signing it.

The statement said that "In the case of Taslima Nasrin it was the CPI (M)
and not any religious or sectarian group who first tried  to ban her book
Dwikhondito some years ago." Only a government or a court can ban a book,
not any
group. CPIM-led Government banned it not because the book has said anything
against CPIM, but because the Islamic groups in West Bengal DEMANDED that
and all other major political parties in West Bengal - Trinamul Congress and
Congress supported the move to appease the islamic groups. The demand was
corroborated by a list of '25 intellectuals', led by 'eminent literatuere
Sunil Gangopadhyay. Please note 'communal' BJP has no presence in the state.
So the ban was done to appease the Islamic Fundamentalist. By blaming only
CPIM, it tries to hide the power of Islamic fundamentalists in West Bengal
today.
After Calcutta High Court lifted the ban, no one went to the Supreme Court
against the ban. But the islamic groups, particualrly Milli Ittehad
Parishad, including Mr.Siddikullah, the champion of Nandigram, came on
streets demanding the head or expulsion of Taslima Nasrin from the country.
They met Chief Minister to warn of dire consequence. There were street
protests and demand to kill Taslima by islamic groups at the centre of
Kolkata. Even a CPIM-backed journal Pathasanket was banned as an article
there justified Taslima's views on Islam. This publication springed a
subsequent round of not only banning the journal (its September 2007 issue),
but the protests turned violent even after the journal was banned and all
its copies were withdrawn fromn the market. No 'secular' intellectual
protested this ban.
Eminent 'secular' intellectuals of West Bengal and muslim MPs of CPIM fanned
the demand against Taslima.  And then on 21 Novemeber 2007, the Islamists
carried out violence throughout the day in Kolkata. And the police, who
fires readily on any peasant demonstrations like Nandigram or Dinhata,
looked the other way. No political parties in West Bengal came out
against this violence. The petition by Mahasweta Devi et al is silent on
this black day of Kolkata. Islamic muscle, appeasement by political parties
and silence of these "intellctuals" - all together bundled out Taslima from
her room into a car to kick her out from great "progressive" Kolkata. All
these are recorded in the media and it is not any activity of any 'unknown'
muslim group to defuse the land issue by appeasing Muslims.

To hide the role of islamic fundamentalists the issue of Nandigram has been
dragged into in this statement. The statement says that Taslima issue was
raised by an unknown group and CPIM caved in to appease the muslims and in
turn to destroy the 'dalit - muslim' protest of Nandigram. It is a blatant
lie as one of the most championed leader of Nandigram, Mr. Siddikullah of
Jamaet Ulema Hind (a secular party for Mahasweta Devi) himself and Milli
Ittehad Parishad led a big street protest in Kolkata few days before the
21st Novemeber. Was it also arranged by CPIM? All kinds of Islamic groups
have supported the demand. To hide this face of Islamic fundmentalists this
petition is unfortunately changing a peasant revolt of Namdigram as a
'dalit - muslim' protest, thus communalising the protest movement of Bengal.

And finally to confuse the main issue a host of other issues have been
included. And if those issues are not solved why then Taslima should return
to Kolkata or stay in India.
Is it really in favour of Taslima?