[Reader-list] The noisy nativist crowd

Vivek Narayanan vivek at sarai.net
Thu Feb 14 10:12:51 IST 2008

This is from "Leaving Prague: A Notebook" by Alexei Tsvetkov, who is
widely considered one of the most important Russian poets writing today:

"When I first came here [Prague], it had been years since I’d written a
poem. I stopped writing poetry without a clear explanation of why it
happened. Later on I came up with lots of convincing reasons: one of the
best, as I recall, was the turmoil in my erstwhile homeland, Russia. In
some way poetry, no matter how private, is always addressed to an
audience, and when a level of noise in that audience exceeds a certain
value, the exercise becomes pointless. It is possible to imagine an
opera star performing to an empty hall but not to a full and noisy
one. There’s an old saying: when guns talk, the Muses fall silent. But
that’s wrong: Cicero was talking about laws, not Muses. When people
talk, especially when they talk feverishly, the Muses definitely shut up.

"I remember at the time I could not figure out who it was that Joseph
Brodsky was addressing in his late verse—it still seems to me driven
largely by inertia. Brodsky’s best poetry is the voice of someone who
deliberately positions himself between and above two mighty empires:
it’s a running commentary on their perceived decline. When one of those
empires suddenly collapsed, he was left groping. We will never know how
he would have regained his internal balance.

"When I lost mine, I came to Prague voiceless. Brodsky died soon after
and, however shocking, the news seemed fitting: the last universal voice
fell silent, leaving the stage in full possession of the noisy nativist
crowd."

I bring this thesis up not as some kind of advice from the gods, but
because I am not certain if it is true. Tsvetkov himself presents it
only as a possible theory, and of course I'm still puzzling around that
example (metaphor?) of the opera singer. I'd be curious to know what
readers on this list think about-- am eager to hear both philosophical
and pragmatic responses-- how to bring the muses back to this list. In a
way this is to explore the inverse, positive side of the anti-censorship
debate: what are the conditions for speech, what makes speech possible,
how does one revive rich conversation?

The essay is from the February issue of Poetry magazine from the US
which, by the way, has now gone entirely online. (Except for the Beckett
poems in this issue--that upload was most likely blocked by the Beckett
estate, which probably did not give permission out of concern for
copyright. Fools.): http://www.poetrymagazine.org/ .

Thanks
Vivek