[Reader-list] Combative Indian magazine struggles to sell 'badnews'

radhikarajen at vsnl.net radhikarajen at vsnl.net
Wed Feb 13 18:50:19 IST 2008

In any democratic society, media is considered as fourth pillar upholding
the freedom of free society and is respected for the work. Journalists are
respected and honoured for their impartial work in journalism of reporting
the news as it is, without the added masala of partisan views on news.

  However recent trend in media has been that was of more partisan reportage
suiting the political outfit they are sponsored with. The sponsorship is
many times indirect, with advertisements of PSUs and governance controlled
ventures. many times it is indirect, with "well wishers of the political
outfits sponsoring the advertisements with attached strings.
  Thehelka lost credibilty in the eyes of the viewers when it did not
hesitate to use sex and sex workers which is quite a common weakness of all
, say almost all humans for sensuous pleasures.Its own reporter in a press
club at kerala, was boasting of the good times he had with his work in
tehelka days. !
  More to be precise, the editor seems to be having very soft corner for
some political party with most corrupt leaders in it, may be he scared to
take on the might of violent goon brigades of such parties.
Many channels did a mayajal, to immediately resort to complete silence later
when the goon brigades retorted with violent acts. ?
Lalu Yadav is always good with media to use the media for his spins, but not
even one expose" of his adventures are  visible in media may be because he
believes in his danda more than democratic rights. ?
  Ofcourse much mud slinging which does not stick is done against BJP and
sangh parivar, but inspite of having the power, they are too decent even on
channels for debate or discussions, but when it comes to Congress, Tarun is
positively scared of its power of goon brigade also known as youth wing with
leaders of the kind, Kamalnath,Jagadeesh Tytler, Sajan kumar, Hariprasad who
have noteworthy records of sorts which are really worth coverage in stings.
?Ofcourse what happened to 300,000 oil coupons given to party along with
coupons of natwar singh, and tarun seems to be selective in his stings ?
  This was not the scene in earlier days with chitra Subramaniam doing the
wonderful investigation in Bofors scam, but those days tv was state
controlled, later even the midnight visit of additional solicitor general to
London without the knowledge of the highest court to defreeze the accounts
of uncle Q was not matter of a sting  for tarun, so much of journalistic
ethics. !