[Reader-list] Free expression for a Muslim Traitor-Alien or Hindu betrayers?

Lawrence Liang lawrence at altlawforum.org
Thu Feb 14 15:53:55 IST 2008

Hi Arnab and Jeebesh

The doctors have given me permission to take a quick break from this
very painful vasectomy to clarify and add a legal point; There is a
clear distinction in the constitution between Art. 19 (freedom of
speech) and Art. 21(right to life), and while Art 21 is available to  to
all persons, Art. 19 is only available to citizens, which means  that
non citizens do not have the same claim that citizens can in the case
of  free speech, and hence do not have access to same remedies either.

In any case i read jeebesh's posts as not making a legal argument but
urging us to move beyond the rather narrow conceptual  frame of liberal
legality, and explore the possibilities of a wider set of cultural
resources through which we can think of hospitality, and again not as
candy floss virtue ethic but as   forms of life

Lawrence