[Reader-list] Free expression for a Muslim Traitor-AlienorHindubetrayers?

mahmood farooqui mahmood.farooqui at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 20:27:31 IST 2008

Are intellectuals/artistes/writers special people whom we should treat
differently from other people...are Bangladeshi migrants seeking
freedom from tyranny of hunger part of those whom we can give asylum
to...could this extend to Pakistanis, who went from India, or those
that didn't but who now want to come and live in India...the great
modernist short story writer and poet Ahmed Hamesh, who did his high
school from India, tried hard to return to India and live here, in the
eighties, but failed and had to be deported here...

Would asylum depend on the fitness of the candidate, whethe she is
deserving or not? Can we use examples from lived practices, from the
past, or history, without drawing any general conclusions from it,
without, in short, becoming normative--can history serve us as
particulars alone?