[Reader-list] More on free expression for (non)citizens: Response to Jeebesh, Lawrence and others

shuddha at sarai.net shuddha at sarai.net
Fri Feb 15 16:57:13 IST 2008

Dear All,

I have followed with interest the discussion on Taslima Nasrin's status as
an alien and her freedom of speech. While my views on the matter are
reasonably well known on this list from my writing on this list earlier
(and I will not repeat them here). I do want to add a thought that I think
has not been seen to present itself in the entire discussion till now. I
will be making what I hope is an argument (for arguments sake) strictly
within the domain of constitutionality.

I am concerned with the freedom, not only of the speaker, but also of the
listener. In any act of curtailment of speech, there are two parties who
can be said to be affected. The speaker, (who is rendered speechless) and
the listener, (who is denied access to what might have been spoken). While
Taslima's rights to free speech may not be guaranteed under the law because
she is not an citizen. Our rights to listen to her, (or to anyone else) are
also taken away when she is rendered silent. As an Indian citizen, I can no
longer exercise my right to listen, be informed, form my judgement
(critical or appreciative or indifferent) of what this alien might have
said.

Does this denial of a citizens right to listen to the voice of an alien not
constitute a diminishing of the citizens exercise of the freedom of his/her
conscience. I would be interested to hear any thoughts that anyone on this
list might have on this matter. Similarly, the barrier to the aliens
presence on our soil prevents us from coming into contact with the alien.
Does the denial of the possibility of hospitality not also constitute a
damage to the possilbe enrichment of experience of the person who could
have been the host.

My concern with the issue of Taslima is two fold. On the one hand denying
her the free use of her expressive faculties while she lives in India is an
act of gross inhospitality which implicates us all, because it is being
done in our name. Secondly, the matter of her freedom of expression
involves not just her, but all of us. Because we are sought to be prevented
from forming our independent judgements about what she says.

A great deal has been said about how Taslima's is an unreasonable voice.
That may be so. What interests me is the intense paranoia and neurosis that
surrounds the simple fact of the presence of that unreasonable voice.

It is a matter of conjecture, but I believe that every Bengali family has a
a mad relative. The Pagol Pishi who suddenly emerges naked and cursing in
the middle of some respectable bhadralok occasion like a wedding. The
terrible hullaballoo that occurs after this fact tells us more about the
neurosis of the bhadralok family than it does about the specific and rich
insanity of the Pagol Pishi. I think that the matter of Taslima Nasrin has
revealed a rich vein of neuroses in our public consciousness. If she is so
crazy (as people say she is) then why not let her be. What harm can her
speech do? What, if anything did the Pagol Pishi harm, other than the fusty
sense of propriety that the bhadralok so neurotically cling to. Are the
institutions of this republic or the public life of respectable religions
so fragile as to be threatened by her occasional outbursts. If they are, I
would be more interested in thinking about the aetiology of the neuroses
that assail them. If we are so bothered by Taslima, it is time to ask what
might the matter be with us. Do we all need therapy?

It often happens that people say something that many people consider
terribly offensive on this list. I myself am offended very often. But
whenever anyone allows that feeling of being offended to translate into a
demand for silence they are revealing their own inability to deal with the
presence of the alien, the outsider, the person who does not speak or think
like them. There is always the option of choosing not to listen. It
protects you from having to listen to what you dont want to, and at the
same time it does not prevent other people from listening.

I wonder why this option, which is actually quite simple, is exercised so
seldom.

regards

Shuddha