[Reader-list] Petrol prices

S. Jabbar sonia.jabbar at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 15:36:55 IST 2008

Hard to imagine today, but between 1994-98 I rode a bicycle on Delhi's
roads.  It was lovely.  In the early years there wasn't much traffic and I
went everywhere on the bike, in summer and in winter: shopping, seminars,
films, to the Qutb Minar to do watercolours and once, even to DLF for lunch.
Had to give up in 1998 when I started breaking out in hives and even popping
2 antihistamines at night wouldn't stop the itching.  One wise Tibetan
doctor attributed it to the condition of my lungs and the pollution
affecting it.  I had little choice but to get myself a car.

What I wish for is this: that the government stop subsidisng petrol, that
people stop buying cars and say nono to the nano, that pollution levels drop
to what they were in the early '90s, and that I'm back on my dark blue
'Hero' with the drop handle bars.

If wishes were bicycles...