[Reader-list] Delhi Urban Arts Commission

Chad Chowbey chad.chowbey at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 23:05:49 IST 2008

Dear all,

We may, or may not, have registered Ratish's anguish. He writes, in the last
paragraph, "The only way forward seems to be more citizen interest in urban
affairs". In the same sentence in which he records his anguish, he also
writes this phrase: "in the hope that
someone, somewhere will have the ability..."

I do not want to complete this quote as it exists in Ratish's writing. I
bring your attention to two phrases: "more citizen interest in urban
affairs" vs "in the hope that someone, somewhere will have the ability..."

Here is material for thought. "only way forward" vs "in the hope"; "more
citizen interest" vs "someone, somewhere"; "urban affairs" vs "will have the
ability...".

I would request Ratish to define "ability" here.

I request a discussion on this figure of the 'citizen' Ratish has appealed
to, indeed on the horizon that the phrase 'more citizen interest' opens up .
I am sure, because I have been an invisible reader, the reader list has
already discussed this issue threadbare. My point here is: even so, the
ambiguities in Ratish's write-up (last para) shows there is more to be
understood, shared. This is certainly a debate that can be re-opened, or
re-visited. For one reason: there is the citizen. And then there is the
someone, somewhere.

with respect,
chad chowbey