[Reader-list] Theoretical Correctness : From Habermas to Leslie Green

inder salim indersalim at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 23:28:26 IST 2008

Tnor can we gain knowledge of any feeling by introspection, the
feeling being completely veiled from introspection, for the very
reason that it is our immediate consciousness. Possibly this curious
truth was what Emerson was trying to grasp — but if so, pretty
unsuccessfully — when he wrote the lines,

The old Sphinx bit her thick lip —
Said, »Who taught thee me to name?
I am thy spirit, yoke-fellow,
Of thine eye I am eyebeam.
»Thou art the unanswered question;
Couldst see thy proper eye,
Always it asketh, asketh;
And each answer is a lie.«  )
Needless to say that Aranab is truly a Muse on the List, and Vivek has
all the reasons to agree with and celebrate.
Today is a Language day, and today, after  reading your piece 'on
feelings', i believe a lot of

people ( muses )  on the list would agree that to say a thing one
needs a little more than a good arrangement of words…. So influenced,
that I want to write a poem to talk further on that, but that too
happens, it may happen or not, who knows. And even if it happens, it
may be less than a simple prose piece. What to do ?
Given the nature of complexity, it is not surprising that 'muses'
always try to find it difficult to put full stop on their outbursts.
On the contrary, some one who is less than a muse, always finds it
easy to put the thought in words, crisply, usually to a lethal effect.
 But who is less than a Muse ?  None again. I see from my balcony,
domestic  sparrows and crows driving away colourful birds and
koels, which often irritates me, but I then educate my choices.
As one can see, I am theoretically correct, but politically incorrect.
Who is theoretically 'a

not-muse' None. But I have found the art of living with paradoxes and
so may be I am wrong,  but who really cares about the truth. Not only
Arnab but there is a river of text in the world that speaks about the
non-existence of truth, and yet that truth…. In fact it must be there
simply, but as we know, we don't have the necessary tools at our
disposal to convey it accurately. We are simply without the absolute.
But to say that even, Peirce rightly uses the expression , 'pretty
unsuccessfully' while quoting a gem like Emerson stanza.
If I the essay by Arnab has that quality of bringing theatre closer to
philosophy, as we see how Derrida while talking about deconstruction
as performativity, then  then it becomes a little easier than
otherwise.

First  I quote : Deconstruction is a theory that posits that
signifiers and signifieds are

continually breaking apart and reattaching in new combinations, indeed
there is no fixed distinction between  signifier and signified. The
deconstruction process is not only infinite but also somehow circular.
Signified keeps
transforming into sigfnifiers and vice versa, and you never arrive at
a final sign that is not a
signifier itself. Deconstruction is not simply a strategic reversal of
categories.
Deconstruction is an attempt to dismantle the logic by which a
particular system of thought is grounded as well as how a whole system
of political situation and social control maintains its force.
Deconstruction is a theme of the absent centre. The post-modern
experience is widely held to stem from a profound sense of ontological
uncertainty.

For Judith Butler performative is understood as a stylized repetition
of acts that like Derridian citation—" always a reiteration of a norm
or set of norms, which means that the act that one does , the act that
one performs it, in a sense, an act that has been going on before one
arrived on the scene.So in that sense, we are condemned to repeat to
say and act what has been going on before we arrived on the scene. We
can say ' theoritically incorrect' as well, because it was uttered
before as well, and only some performativity can mix its theory and
practice together, to unleash that unpridictable....Thus what was not
uttered too can get its wings to contribute to " The Architecture of
Deconstruction"

Here, I am writing all this, not because people don't know, but to
repeat, and repeat it like a
performance, to see it again, to realize it again. I shall do it
again, and that I guess is the job of a reasonable muse. I am trying
to be one.
In the above quoted passage from Derrida, there is a phrase '
ontological uncertainty'. I  hope Arnab can give us more on that  than
I can….. I remember, that how  surrealists once used a term ' critical
paranoia: a state of mind that brings madness closer to consciousness
without falling into its abyss.

So, I guess one has to keep on talking about all the interesting
things and also uninteresting things. We really don't know how to
decipher the ontology of our uncertainties. They were not
uncertainties in the first place if we know  them, and that is why I
am not even writing about that
.
For example, the debate on sexuality which Aranab initiated around a
post on Taslima. I once  read a line " Sexuality is not innate but a
product " and I thought that I know enough about the word sexuality
and its politics etc,  but from feminist readings I am too narrowly
positioned on the discourse on sexuality. Similarly about politics, I
looks it is dead, but it is not. May I am dead or may be not kind of
thing…

 The question is really about 'the present'  which encompasses all the
thought in one go, which somehow ejects out our beings from the
tightly held structures, not only of  languages, but other contrived
corridors of thinking.  We can move from written word to oral and come
back to photography. From there we can move to painting, and then do
some theatre. From there we can reflect a piece on the Sarai reader
list, and wash our socks. Then go to bazaar to buy some vegetables and
pay the telephone bill. The list is long, as long as life itself,  and
that is how it is….

Before, coming back to Taslima, I think of Teesta.  When I heard about
Teesta, I got a carpenter's call who had this Pakeeza ringtone in a
mobile. Inhee Logoon nay… sipayan say poocho,  jis nay bazarya mein
cheena dupta mera.  ( These are the people who snatched my head scarf…
Don't ask me, ask the policeman who snatched my headscarf in the
market ) song of a prostitute in the film.

Some one is there who provoked CJI, otherwise a lot of such stuff gets
published in the country. That is that, but the fact has come to the
fore, that the  law can not compromise on the dissent when it comes to
direct criticism of law itself. That is the message. Now if someone
questions about the delayed justice in India, or about the millions of
pending cases then what will be his excuse,
except that judiciary is structurally inadequate and only some quick
governmental remedy can save the judiciary from committing mistakes
unwittingly.

Some 17 or 18 years back I read in newspaper that how an under trail
threw his shit ( ) on the face of a judge because he was poor and was
languishing in jail for years.
His name was Rakesh. I had that paper cutting preserved somewhere, I
must find it. That was performance. What do you think?

With love and regards
indersalim

http://indersalim.livejournal.com