[Reader-list] The noisy nativist crowd

Vivek Narayanan vivek at sarai.net
Fri Feb 22 15:00:22 IST 2008

Dear Prem,

Thank you for your detailed and deeply informed riposte.  There are many
things to chew in it that do in fact relate to our little crisis on the
reader list-- the difficulty of comprehending one's relationship to
history, Gandhi as poet, the questions of lightness and scale, the
question of how to scale up as a network-- so on.  I'm not going to be
able to run with all your interrelated points, so I'm curious to see if
anyone else on this list might build on them or even, perhaps, link the
other discussions going on with this one.  I am going to pick some bones
with a few things you have mentioned here and there, but I want to do it
so as to open out your discussion and your questions in some ways, and
this is because we are pretty much in agreement.  I owe this to the
conciliatory but engaged tone of your riposte.  What I want to try to do
is make some minor contributions in places where I think I might have
something to add.  And, as I hope to suggest, my larger interest is
really in the idea of adding itself.

I obviously have nothing against metaphors as a form of thought-- I use
them myself all the time.  And yet, this is precisely why I want to note
that they can be misleading as well as seductive.  As an aside, I think
that the notion that metaphors (while being, admittedly, indirect) are
the opposite of direct, rational thought is not quite true.  Moreover,
the commonly held belief that poetry, or poetics (while being,
admittedly, indirect) is purely a place for the "irrational" or the
"emotional" is also not quite true-- a poem's real charge (and I think I
could show this with examples) really comes from the interaction of the
rational and irrational within its structure, its mingling of "emotion",
"thought" and "logic", not to mention the words in which these things
are inseparable.

That said, I want to note that, after thinking about it some more, I
find Tsvetkov's metaphor of the opera singer, while being powerful and
seductive, as you say, is deeply misleading  for our purposes here on
the list (and for understanding poetry's current crisis as well-- but
I'll leave that discussion aside for now).  Is the idea of an "audience"
really the most useful here?  Am I singing now to the rapt audience of
the reader list, whose duty is only to either applaud or throw tomatoes?
And is the idea of an audience of connoisseurs in the opera hall likely
to scale up well?  Does the idea of "audience" help us to productively
understand the idea of "noise"?

Keeping those questions on hold for a second, I want to turn briefly to
your idea of the "poetics of resistance"-- it fascinates me and I want
to hear more of course, but I'm a bit uncertain about that old bugbear--
resistance, aka negation.  Again, resistance is important, of course,
and ever present; but the idea of resistance itself became its own
romance in the twentieth century; eventually, we became unable to think
beyond resistance.  Disagreement -- which is but a synonym of resistance
for our purposes-- is fetishized purely for its own sake, and the idea
of agreement is simplistically equated with the idea of power.  And
disagreement, when it becomes a singular and primary objective, turns
all discussion  towards the idea of winning, of replacing or
obliterating one's opponent, and this is done either by means of gleeful
point-scoring and one-upmanship, sometimes in the canon-thumping style
of sophomoric sophomores or, much worse, by ritualistic repetition of
one's basic position, louder and louder in the manner of a child seeking
attention, until all thought-- and emotion-- flees from the minds of
those assembled.  (Another metaphor, flawed.)

I have nothing against disagreement, obviously.  But I have a feeling
that we have something against, and misunderestimate, agreement.
Shouldn't agreement be the legitimate other side of disagreement's coin?

Can't quite unpack it fully yet,  but I have a hunch that the idea of
"audience" and the idea of "disagreement / resistance" are somehow
linked.  And a hunch that it is the conjoining of these two notions that
sometimes gives our list the flavour of a debating society, moreover one
with some bullies sitting in who might shout everyone else down or even
call the police on us.  Is there a way to move beyond both of these
terms in searching for an appropriate model for our list?

I would be the first to include myself among those who have been overly
seduced by the idea of disagreement as a model for productive talk on
this list.  And note that I am not saying we should "do away" with
fighting or point scoring or bullies; wherever we go from here, it would
have to be by consensus if it is to have any meaning.  I am only asking:
is there anything we can all agree on?  What protocols might we
establish and find consensus on?  And: what would be the best picture of
our list to adopt?

Prem, although I am also disagreeing with some of your minor points, I
am earnestly trying to add to what you are saying, and I hope that
others might add to what I have to say.  I am asking (uncertain, still
thinking) if it would be useful to start from the point where we all
consciously think of the reader list as something to add to, as opposed
to something to resolve.

This would mean that we think of the reader list not as a debating club,
or as a continuation of war by other means, but rather as an experiment in

collective collaborative writing.

Which is exactly what it is!

Vivek