[Reader-list] [foil] For Marx too, market’s boss

Sayan Bhattacharyya ok.president+foil at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 12:33:39 IST 2008

On 2/24/08, OISHIK SIRCAR <oishiksircar at gmail.com> wrote:

> For Marx too, market's boss
>
>  The complete works of Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels can cost up to Rs
>  1.5 lakh and come bearing the stamp of the US and Britain, two most
>  potent
>  symbols of capitalism.

The yellow journalism of the Telegraph fails to mention that the complete
works of Marx and Engels, and many other Marxist writers, are freely
available online at the MIA:

Marxists Internet Archive (MIA) --  www.marxists.org :
The most complete library of Marxism with content in over 40 languages and
the works of over 400 authors readily accesible by archive, subject, or
history.
www.marxists.org

Furthermore, for those without Internet connection, they supply DVDs -- and
the DVDs are FREE/DISCOUNTED for people from the developing world who won't
be able to afford them. See below:

<http://www.marxists.org/admin/cd/index.htm>:
DVDs are DISCOUNTED OR FREE for residents/citizens of developing and
underdeveloped countries

*Most DVD sets are discounted: the buyer needs to pay for the costs of
postage and/or cost of reproducing the DVDs. Most areas will require you to
provide in local currency the cost of postage, usually never amounting to a
2 or 3 US dollars.*

Those *not* eligable for the free or a discounted DVD are anyone living in
any of the advanced industrialized countries such as the former European
Community countries; Japan; New Zealand and Australia; South Korea; Taiwan;
United States of America, the Israeli state and Canada. If you have any
questions, must write us at payments (@) marxists.org. For more information,
click here <http://www.marxists.org/admin/cd/index.htm#5>.
For Free/Discounted DVDs for residents in the following countries:
*Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay* or *Uruguay*, click
here<http://www.marxists.org/admin/cd/index.htm#argen>
*Bangladesh, China, India, Indonesia, Pakistan, Philippines* or *Sri Lanka*,
click here <http://www.marxists.org/admin/cd/index.htm#asia> .
*Turkey*, click here <http://www.marxists.org/admin/cd/index.htm#turkey>.
*South Africa*, click
here<http://www.marxists.org/admin/cd/index.htm#southafrica>
.
*Vietnam*, click here <http://www.marxists.org/admin/cd/index.htm#viet>.
Former republics of *Yugoslavia*, click
here<http://www.marxists.org/admin/cd/index.htm#yugo> If
your country is not listed above, please write us at payments (@)
marxists.org.

Additionally, check out the language pages for each of the countries listed
above, some offer more information on the DVDs in those languages.

Domestic distributors in some parts of Asia still offer CD versions of MIA
to residents of their respective countries. Write them and ask.
------------------------------

Contents of the 2008
Edition:<http://www.marxists.org/admin/cd/index.htm#3b>This
*new 2008* edition is our largest publication of MIA documents to date. On
these two DVDs are the entire contents of the MIA, minus a few works we have
been requested not to distribute for copyright permission reasons.
Additionally, for space reasons, we have not included the Chinese language
section which is over 8 gigs by itself. However this can be included at no
extra charge upon request. Lastly most of the MIA audio files and art works
you may of seen on the MIA have also not been included.

There are, as of this edition, over 97,000 separate "items": Documents,
books, essays, letters, photos, etc., totaling more than 8,100,000,000 bytes
in size. . .To get an idea of the breadth of this edition, go the What's
New? <http://www.marxists.org/admin/new/index.htm> page and scroll to the
end. By clicking on the months listed you will see over 6 years of additions
of all the new files as they were added. Collectively the What's New
archives provide a log of all the files ever placed the Marxists Internet
Archive.

.

*The DVDs cannot run off your DVD player on your computer. You need to copy
the contents of each DVD into a folder entitled "MIA". Once this is done, to
start using the files you've copied to your computer, open the "index.htm"
file from your browser.*
------------------------------

What is the Cost of the DVD? <http://www.marxists.org/admin/cd/index.htm#4b>
The cost of the DVDs 2 set 2008 Edition is $30 USD

MIA
PO Box 217
Sahuarita, AZ 85629
USA

Can't afford the DVD?: <http://www.marxists.org/admin/cd/index.htm#5b> Send
a request via e-mail: payments @ marxists . org and we will send you a
discounted or free DVD. In the subject line of your message, please type:
MIA DVD and include your complete postal address in the body of your e-mail.
We *do not* send free DVDs to North America, Western Europe, Australia, Hong
Kong, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, or Taiwan any
longer because we cannot afford to do this, and we are confident that $30 US
is an attainable amount in these nations. *Most areas will require you to
provide in local currency the cost of postage, usually never amounting to a
2 or 3 US dollars.* The local distributors will let you know how much this
will be.

  Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay or Uruguay: To request a copy
of the DVD if you live in Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay or
Uruguay, send an e-mail to [martingbarba(- at -) hotmail.com] and include your
postal address. Costs to mail the DVD will have to be born by the receiver
of the DVD. The price varies throughout the region and can run as high as
$3.00 USD.  Bangladesh: To request a copy of the DVD if you live in
Bangladesh, send an e-mail to [mohammad (- at -) marxists.org] and include your
postal address. China: To request a copy of the DVD if you live in China,
send an e-mail to [lamchi (- at -) marxists.org] and include your postal
address.  India:To order a copy of the CD OR the DVD if you live in India,
send an e-mail to: [ contact_ardhendu( - at - )hotmail.com ] and include your
postal address. Cost to receive the CD or DVD will be approximately US $
1.50. Payment of postage is required. The price is for the English disk
only.  Indonesia: To request a copy of the CD or DVD if you live in
Indonesia, send an e-mail to [rumahkiri (- at -) rumahkiri.net] and include
your postal address.  Iran: To request a copy of the DVD if you live in
Iran, send an e-mail to [black_dahila (- at -) safe-mail.net]. Waite for a
reply and wait for arrangements to be made for delivery. Do not include your
name or other information until you are contacted again.  Pakistan: To
request a copy of the CD or DVD if you live in Pakistan, send an e-mail to
[redpak2000 (- at -) yahoo.com] and include your postal address.  Philipines: To
request a copy of the DVD if you live in Philipines, send an e-mail to [
mia.phils (- at -) gmail.com ] and include your postal address.  Sri Lanka:To
request a copy of the CD if you live in Sri Lanka, send an e-mail to [
swithanage (- at -) marxists.org ] and include your postal address. In the
subject line of your message, please include the words "MIA DVD - SRI
LANKA.  South
Africa: To request a copy of the DVD if you live in South Africa, send an
e-mail to [ 2004206146 (- at -) student.uovs.ac.za ] and include your postal
address. In the subject line of your message, please include the words "MIA
DVD - S. Africa".  Turkey: To request a copy of the DVD if you live in
Turkey, send an e-mail to [ crimsondawn77 [ @ ] yahoo.com. ] and include
your postal address. In the subject line of your message, please include the
words "MIA DVD - TURKEY".  Vietnam: To request a copy of the DVD if you live
in Vietnam, send an e-mail to [tahuong17 [ @ ] gmail.com ] and include your
postal address. In the subject line of your message, please include the
words "MIA DVD - Vietnam".  Former Yugoslavia: To request a copy of the CD
or DVD if you live in any of the republics of the former Yugoslavia, send an
e-mail to [ misu (- at -) yubc.ne ] and include your postal address. In the
subject line of your message, please include the words "MIA DVD -
YUGOSLAVIA".

Becoming a Domestic Distributor in My
Country:<http://www.marxists.org/admin/cd/index.htm#7b>

We are happy to discuss the possibility of gaining further "domestic
distributors" in other countries. *In order to become a distributor of MIA
DVDs in your country, you must be prepared to meet these requirements:*

1. You must have access to a DVD burner.

2. You must have the means to financially support purchase of blank media
and postal expenses.

3. You must be able to provide DVDs in a timely manner upon request.

4. You must commit to provide DVDs on a *no cost/no profit basis*.

5. You must reside in a country that qualifies for free DVDs.

If you are interested in being a distributor in your country, please send an
inquiry to payments [@] marxists . org.

Hey, why do we sell the
DVD?:<http://www.marxists.org/admin/cd/index.htm#6b>If the Archive is
shut down by a publishing conglomerate or the government,
having this information widely dispersed around the world, essentially
untraceable, with the content entirely intact, is a great thing. *Putting
this content on DVD allows anyone to easily burn extra copies and give them
out to others, and pass the information onwards.* We've received letters of
thanks from school teachers in Indonesia to workers in England who pass MIA
discs on to others — with a single disc getting more wear than a growing
child's shoes.

Why does it cost this
amount?:<http://www.marxists.org/admin/cd/index.htm#4s>Partly for the
reasons above and also to raise money to pay for the costs
associated with running this archive. All excess money we make goes into
buying and distributing *for free* discs to those who can't afford them in
less advanced countries. *Did you know...* each DVD sold costs MIA $15 (to
produce, mail, and subsidise free DVDs)? Thus $15 is used by MIA to pay for
other costs such as server expenses, office expenses, domain name purchases,
etc.