[Reader-list] gujrat election

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 5 16:14:40 IST 2008

Dear Tara Prakash

  It is not proper to ascribe to me views that have not be expressed by me. So I object to the purport of your words """""But, of course,  you are free to have your opinion and believe that people were actually mesmerized by Modi.""""

  Nowhere have I suggested that the people (of Gujrat) were 'mesmerised' by Modi. If it is your opinion, then express it as it being yours.

  You were very liberal in castigating people and 'forces' as 'evil'. Now that one requests for explanations that would lead to understanding how that 'evil' managed to win the elections, you are trapezing all over the place. Time you landed on solid earth.

  Let me present a construct from what has been said so far and see what you have to say:

  A. Evil (as per Tara Prakash) wins in Gujrat elections. Modi won it.

  B. As per Tara Prakash "Not only so-called pseudo secular forces or soft Hindutva forces were campaigning against Modi, but major part of the hard-core Hindutva forces were also against him." That would suggest a very pleasing support base for Modi.

  C. As per Tara Prakash  "The fight in Gujarat was a fight between Hindus and Hindus if Hindus have won, Hindus have lost too..... Evil wins and Evil loses" Tara Prakash clarifies that he did not intend to homogenise Hindus. Let us accept that.

  D. Tara Prakash seems to advance a lack of alternate (non-evil) choice for the people of Gujrat as reason for "Evil" winning.

  E. Tara Prakash says "Electoral victory does not always mean that people have given you a clean chit."

  F. All the above put together lead to some intriguing questions:

     1. Did the people of Gujrat vote Modi in, being well aware that Modi was "evil"? Are those who voted for Modi themselves "evil' too?

     2. Were the people of Gujrat blinded by lack of judgement and absence of moral/ethical values that they voted Modi or because they were too naive/foolish to recognise Modi as "evil"? Were the people of Gujrat 'mesmerised' by the 'evil ' Modi?

     3. In midst of the the abundance of "evil" people and forces (as per Tara Prakash) did the people of Gujrat opt for the "lesser evil"? Wouldnt that would make it a sensible choice? Who then were the forces of "greater evil" that were rejected? Or were the people of Gujrat so very "evil' that they chose the 'greater evil' in Modi?

  Look forward to Tara Prakash giving specific answers, hopefully as specific of his/her designating people/forces as "evil".

  Kshmendra Kaul