[Reader-list] Foucault as a genealogist : Response to Prem

Prem Chandavarkar prem.cnt at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 10:17:20 IST 2008

Dear Arnab,
I am afraid I find the questions you raise rather technical and perplexing
(which is perhaps due to my limitations more than anything else).  But to
me, the starting point is another question: Is there any activity that is
possible that is not touched by archives?  I find it difficult to answer yes
to this question, because it is tantamount to a claim that one can step into
a position that is free from memory. I do not read the Foucauldean
geneology as a claim to archives as being foundational, but rather as a
critique of claims that one can either be free of archives, or to treat
archives as substantive truth.

So my later questions about alertness revolves around how we choose to
construct history as a discipline: whether it is a factual description that
uses foundational archives, or whether it is a moment located in the present
that centres around the question of "What do we choose to remember?"

Regards,
Prem