[Reader-list] Archive is not memory: Response II to Prem

sadan at sarai.net sadan at sarai.net
Tue Jan 8 11:45:57 IST 2008

Dear Arnab and Prem
Hi!
Arnab, I do not understand what would you achieve by writing:
"Firstly we should not use archives as a
name for any form of collection. The archival logic is
a part of the one time emergent public sphere where
museums, displays etc achieved a new meaning in frozen
and empty time."
Where does it come from? This is how disciplinary history has hegemonised
meanings of archives. You move outside this frame and the term archives
appears very different. What is this difference? How is this difference
articulated and voiced and practiced and erased by history? Well that can
be one line of enquiry. The other line would be to track the traces,
footprints, marks of things archival lost in different processes. This
would be about the history of the archives. But other way would be to
liberate archives (if I use a provcative and meaning-less term) from the
history. liberating from history and relocating into the memory or into
ways of looking at past (here I am thinking on the line of Nandy, history's
forgotten doubles). Another way would be to think about a digital photo as
archives, or human body as archives. Going back to your statement mentioned
in the beginning, the question would be on what grounds this deployment of
the word can be differntiated from the ways in which archives is used by
professional historians. If the epistemological affect different? The
readymade and easy answer, the question of roots, geneology, history would
not answer this. But why not?
And this precisely where I find it difficult to agree with the line of
questioning Prem has adopted. Looking at archives away from history is easy
said than done. Can archives exists without refering back to history?This
makes the question of the archives simple. For a long time, archives has
been a domain of the history lets free it? This can be a political call but
the issue is how to convert it as intellectual project? I am not sure...I
am not very confortable with Derrida on this point either.
wishes,
sadan.