[Reader-list] Iconoclasm in Kashmir-Motives and Magnitude-III

Partha Dasgupta parthaekka at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 10:35:01 IST 2008

Hi,

1.   'Mlechha' was a derogatory term to describe people who 'did not
      follow Vedic principles' much as 'Firang' is used today for
'foreigners'.
      It was also used to refer to Meat Eaters which covers a vast part of
      the tribals who can not by any stretch of imagination be considered
      foreigners.

2.  The usage of the word 'Turk' for Harsha was a distancing by the local
     populace in those days to disassociate the King from the trend.
However,
     if 'foreigner;, 'outsider' and 'mlechha' are considered, then Harsha
was by
     birth and place certainly a Hindu and not a Turk. In fact, even as per
the
     Rajatarangini he ate pork and was not a full convert to Islam.

3.  Rashneek's debate is not about outsiders/foreigners. It is about the
destruction
     of religious structures - which Harsha as a Hindu ruler did to both
Temples and
     Buddhist monastries irrespective of what relegion they followed.

4.  Even if we reach a point where we accept conversion (thereby happily
throwing
     Harsha out of the 'Hindu' group and disowning his activities), it does
not make
     Muslims outsiders. Other than any one else who may have converted for
whatever
     reason, "the Turk king Harsha" as he's referred to in the Rajatarangini
was certainly
     a local and cannot be considered an outsider however his behaviour may
have been.
     We may want to disown him, but that does not change Harsha's origin.

5.  All that aside, let us for a moment agree that Islamic iconoclasts did
despoil
    some temples some decades or centuries back. Now what? Are we going to
rebuild
    all those temples after researching how many were destroyed and where?
While we
    are going about doing that will we remove the British and Portugese
structures all over
    India - including the North/South Blocks and a host of other buildings.
That sounds
    rather ridiculous to me and if that time & money is going to be spent I
do hope it's
    spent on education, hospitals, infrastructure and tons of other areas
that this country
    needs shoring up on.

Rgds, Partha

Partha Dasgupta