[Reader-list] archives and history : break the singular question dear

sadan at sarai.net sadan at sarai.net
Wed Jan 16 13:14:36 IST 2008

"The question of Experience can be approached nowadays only with an
acknowledgement that it is no longer accessible to us. For just as moience
has likewise been expropriated(13)".Agamben's language is seductively
simplistic. Both Agamben and Foucault (Agamben is here with Foucault as he
is considered as post-Foucauldian scholar and also because he himself has
acknowledged Foucault a lot) have declarations. However, while Focault's
declarations are at the cost of human experiences, Agamben places the
experiential at the centre stage of his scholarship.
These days I am reading  Giorgio Agamben, "Infancy and History: Essays on
the Destruction of Experience" and found some relevance for our ongoing
dialogue on archives that is going on on the reader-list.
After reading yesterday's post by Arnab, I actually wanted to write about
self-obsession but that will wait for some time. I am also not going to
summerise Agamben's argument but would liket o cite him without engaging
with him here. He writes that "the expropriation of experience was implicit
in the founding project of modern science( 17)". He argues that "the idea
of experience as seperate from knowledge has become so alien to us that we
have forgotten that until the birth of modern science experience and
science each had their own place"(18).He further writes that "in its search
for certainty, modern science abolishes this sepration and makes experience
the locus--the 'method'; that is, the pathway-of knowledge"(19). We may
walk with Agamben but not now. Agamben is referred here as he strikes at
the core, breaking the singularity of the question , something I have
learned from his earlier book, "Witness and the Archives"a dn something
that I am trying to when engaging with the question of memory and the
archives. Namrata was deadright when she pointed that I am trying to meet
both ends and also rightly observed that I go wild. This is where I wanted
to reflect on self-obsession. this is important if I lack it I will lack
the experience of listening ( something that remains my anchor while
engaging with the issue of archives and the memory). Again I am not going
into details demonstrating the relevance of self-obsession or whether this
is the right word to deploy as a methodological tool when like me all the
researchers go back almost mechanical way to recordings and experiences of
listening to recover details. The key difference lies in experiencing our
own attempts of recovering details and the manner in which detailing
influence the self of the researcher. Self-obsession is an obsesseed
engagement with the self. it is experiencing the self at specific moment
and for specific purpose. But how does it help to understand the
relationship between memory and the archives. Something I keep working on
and I do not have any readymade answer to it.
I would again like to To remind Arnab about my project. This is because he
is also self-obsessed in a different way. He is interested in philosophical
history but I often wonder how he fathoms out that disassociating archives
from history will effect my career. For the clarification please find below
my specific concerns( So far I have been clarifying my concerns only and my
sincerre apology to readers who do not see it as a fruitful excercise):

For some time I have been thinking on the relationship between memory and
the archives. This concern is an outcome of my earlier work, documenting
lives of those who underwent the trauma of partition of Indian subcontinent
during 1946-1950. The project was aimed at documenting lives and making an
archive (the project was initiated by Ashis Nandy at CSDS, Delhi). I worked
as field researcher in that project.
At this point, I am interested to understand
a. how ideas and notions of the archives circulate and practised outside
the disciplinary domain of history;
b. linkages between the domains of experience and the archives;
c. how archives are perceived and parctised in non-western pasts.
any suggestion, comment, reference is welcome.

warmly in disagreement and opening up the debate beyond the omnipresent
history,
sadan.