[Reader-list] Delhi/Jan 27/Open Baithak featuring Bob Holman

Vivek Narayanan vivek at sarai.net
Wed Jan 16 20:54:12 IST 2008

Open Baithak

Presents

Bob Holman

Outstanding poet and poetry activist, who was recently dubbed a member
of the "Poetry Pantheon"* *by the New York Times Magazine. Holman has
been a central figure in the US slam, spoken word and performance poetry
movements and in the movement to bring poetry back into people's daily
lives. He was instrumental in the reopening of the legendary Nuyorican
Poets Cafe and was the original slammaster there. He later founded the
Bowery Poetry Club in New York, which has set a standard for making
poetry accessible, and for bringing together established and emerging
artists from various genres together. Holman founded a record label,
produced pieces for PBS, and has written several books, most recently "A
Couple of Ways of Doing Something", a collaboration with Chuck Close
(Aperture). He is visiting Professor of Writing at Columbia University
and NYU.

Jan 27, 2008, Sunday @ 6 pm

The Attic, 36 Regal Buildings, New Delhi

***Besides Holman throwing a few surprises our way, the fourth Baithak
will feature its usual Open Reading where poets perform their poetry and
really give you something to listen to.

Please contact Monica Mody at openbaithak at gmail.com
<mailto:openbaithak at gmail.com> with questions.

OPEN BAITHAK is a contemporary gathering of poets who want to perform
and entertain. We name as our lineage mushairas, open mics, people's
theatre, performance art, technology, storytelling and any other
tradition that grabs our fancy.