[Reader-list] Manipuri women coming to stir up Govt. at Delhi - Campaign against Militarization, Impunity and AFSPA 1958

Zainab Bawa bawazainab79 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 10:28:54 IST 2008

My dear Chanchal,

Before you unsubscribe from the list, let us have a good argument. I have an
appetite for one and it's strange that my appetite emerges when you are
vocal on an issue. Anyhow, let's get down to the "facts".

Firstly, until you do not tell me where you got the information from, I have
no way to find out whether this is "correct" or "not".

Secondly, I have been to Kashmir too and have been eve teased on the roads
by "Hindu" soldiers if you please. (I thought patriotic souls like you don't
make distinctions on religious grounds when it comes to the army??!?!?!)

Thirdly, in any conflict situation where the army is brought into the
picture, there are likely to be violences committed against women, whether
the women are Hindu or Muslim. If you have been to Kashmir, you don't need
to be reminded of what happened to the girls in the Kunan Poshpora incident?
(unless of course you choose not to see this aspect of "facts" because it
does not suit your position!?!) If you have ever heard of violence in
Punjab, you don't need to be told of how women, irrespective of whether they
are "Hindu" or "Muslim" or "Punjabi" (in case you think "Hindu" don't apply
to "Punjabi" women), have been raped/coerced into sleeping with the
policemen.

Fourthly, on the second evening of our time in Srinagar, the boys and girls
who had come with me, were sitting in the houseboat and discussing "India",
"Kashmir" "Hindu-Muslim conflicts in India", etc. with Kashmiri boys. The
Kashmiri boys referred to the violences against Muslims in "India" and the
"Indian" girls and boys (I am going to be killed for calling one of them
"Indian" because he is against state violence in Telangana) spoke of the
exodus of the Pandits. At one point in the discussion, someone raised the
point stating that there are enough "facts" that can be gotten to support
"our points of view", and none of these would be wrong. The point is whether
we are willing to budge from our *positions* and see other perspectives.

You can continue to support the army and get evidences about Muslim men in
the army committing violence against Hindu women and you can work the flawed
logics of your flawed mathematics posed with history the way you like to see
it. And you can even continue to say that you don't hate Muslims but are
wanting them to raise their voices against these happenings. But why don't
you have the "guts" to get down from your position and see that violence is
being committed against women in almost all conflict areas whether it is
Punjab or North East or Kashmir or Palestine or Nicaragua or Iraq. And here
it is not a question of Hindu women versus Muslim women versus Christian
women versus alien women. It is a matter of women violated by the state
which manifests itself in the form of the army. I hope that as a woman, you
can be sensitive to this rather than brush this aside and get into your
baseless (until you quote sources and evidence) ranting about "Hindu" and
"Muslim"!

Apologies if I am sounding angry, but sometimes I just cannot make out what
you are trying to communicate and then what you say ends up making me wonder
as to where your sensitivities, logics and brain lie.

Best,

Zainab