[Reader-list] what is to be done?

radhikarajen at vsnl.net radhikarajen at vsnl.net
Thu Jan 24 14:02:13 IST 2008

Aarti,

 perhaps inspired by Buddhadev Bhattacharya with his expression our "our people" paid back in the same coin "their people ?"

  It is not so easy in freedom of expression when it is a right, it becomes wrong only when the expression becomes a license to impinge on others rights of expression Let us remember one issue clearly, no right is absolute, no freedom is absolute in civil society as societal rights are always  supreme, common good rules over individual right in a just and equitable society.

  Now let me take you anothet thought that crops in my mind, the media is always respected in any democracy, so is the judiciary in democratic life. Why ?  The primary reason is these two "pillars" are the watch dogs in democratic nation to safeguard the rights of individuals and the society in the life of the nation.  But does it give license to the individual in media to behave the way he /she wants to behave in ridiculing the individuals, or be partisan in their "expert" views ? Or the judiciary and its respect will be retained by society when they see that judges are also more corrupt than a peon/clerk in a larger scale than these in society ? Anchors of visual media by being partisan, by being spokes persons of the red brigade or sycophants  and the looters of bofors and scams, do they qualify to be regarded as part of media ? Can we call them as journalists at all ? Some "expert pollsters when they come on visual media from CSDS or any reputed institution are seen as a
re being partisan, do we have left any credibilty for such persons and the institutions ?
  Let us have debate and discussions and let us be objective, fine but JNU which is fertile ground for breeding of "Idealogists" and idealogy which does not reflect the national ethos is atmost reserved for seminars and image boosting works, as poor remain as they are with bad or lack of governance, these idealogists will control politburos to hold the nation to ransom with combined votes of hardly 9.5 percent of votes, is it good for democracy ?.