[Reader-list] Tag & Bag, No It Doesn't Work

we wi dhatr1i at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 24 21:34:09 IST 2008

"reader-list: an open discussion list on media and the city.
Critiques & Collaborations"

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sarai_Programme_at_CSDS
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raqs_Media_Collective#Sarai

  Just reminding you about SARAI, though my entry here is time-bound(self imposed) and have a specific purpose, just continued to stay as a subscriber.

  Rana Dasgupta also pointed out that I am the best compared to anybody from any field of interest on SARAI.  What about that?

  For a given Environmental problem and a possible solution, No body responded with a single line and action.

        Actually in How many countries in the globe does SARAI has its branches? Do all the people from those countries participating in discussions? If so are they participating on their own country behalf or on the behalf of SOUTH ASIA?  Forget about Indo-centrism, as WE the resident citizens of the India not Indian subcontinent or United India just explored the originality.  How India exploited through invasions and invaders atrocities and the HISTORIANS hard efforts to alter the originality. We observe same mind set people in terms of Tradition, Culture, and Attire with Satire in South Asian people still though there are subtle changes in the south asia with time. SARAI can give mind blowing solutions to the problems through the SOUTH ASIA, it can take up and implement them whole-heartedly with implementable, amicable, feasible solutions. Not just writing something (next day to the incidents took part) and then brushes off the hands just like that.

  Some of the members of this list doesn't aware of using Wikipedia until I used tat as a ref to support logic and argument. Later they started writing history on Wiki, I don’t wish to reveal their names.   There absolutely nothing wrong in condemning dirty writings, wrong people, ugly actions and false propaganda.   As there is no censorship and condemnation on sex, vulgarity, abuse about writings and visual links from some subscribers about anything, wat is this going on is absolutely inamecable. One should have heart to accept the grate work and appreciate that.  As some body (I don’t wish to write the names once again) accused with whatever EMOTION to demote, there is subtle difference between the writings that WE wrote with total control and that of others exploded with various types of expression and the feeling about anything. Shudda or anybody must observe it and note it down for better UNDERSTANDING.  Filter should be there in heart, mind, and mouth and then in
 body in the mentioned order.

  Actually there are "voluteer needed" requests appearing on the list.  I just advise THOSE ALL... to join in providing "filter" ideas.

  Best or Worst,
  Dhatri.

  Naeem Mohaiemen <naeem.mohaiemen at gmail.com> wrote:
  Nishant wrote:
>using the freedom of the space to abuse and hurl insults
>hijacking other threads or responses for their own personal good

Also:

1. Continuing to post nonstop on the same topic again and again
(almost like a password-crack spider program on autopilot) even when
no one is responding.
2. The mind-numbing level of Indo-centrism of these troll attacks,
which have drowned out all other topics, regions, countries, or
anything else. I wonder why any non-Indian should even bother to be on
Sarai any more, but that was not the initial focus based on which we
were invited/joined.

>tagging
>flagging

The only issue with filtering is that it doesn't work if we are
subscribed to Sarai in digest mode. In that case the sender is always
readerlist and then we have to go through all the posts in the Digest.

radhikarajen replied:
> Without even reading the thought and total rejection of any thoughts shows only the typical "intellectual" mindset of the leftist idealogy where as long as you are yes men you are with them or otherwise you are not theirs, such become others. ?

But the situation is not comparable. No one is asking for yes men or
to be "with us". The discussion is about a group of 5-8 individuals
who are posting nonstop at absurd volumes and drowning out all other
discussions/topics on the list, and in fact forcing people to leave
the mailing list. With the world awash in mailing lists, and the
average person maybe subscribed to at least 10 mailing lists, if one
list suddenly starts generating 20+ posts a day and 19 of those are on
a debate that you are either not interested in, or not able to
participate in, or just choosing to opt out of with all respect for
the subject, and still the barrage continues day after day, then many
people will in the end choose to hit "unsubscribe" and that would be a
shame for the community of Sarai.

In 1992, in the green vax terminal days, there used to be one usenet
bulletin board called soc.culture.bangladesh. The gathering of people
in terms of class, background, location was unprecedented and I've
never found a similar community since. Anyway, sometime in 1996, an
acrimonious battle broke out about the ongoing occupation of
Chittagong Hill Tracts in Bangladesh and the debate rose to such nasty
levels that in the end the scb community disintegrated. As Rana
Dasgupta pointed out at the beginning of this flame war, took years to
build up, but takes only a moment to destroy.