[Reader-list] Kashmir To Have it's own currency : J&K Govt Finance Minister

Pawan Durani pawan.durani at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 19:05:40 IST 2008

 *" No ,this statement is not from a separatist leader but from Hon Minister
of Finance , J&K Govt. Do some Pandits still trust the secular and
nationalistic agenda of Kashmirs Majority community.........smell the coffee
with some katlams...  "*
**
*Kashmir To Have it's own currency : J&K Govt Finance Minister *

http://etalaat.net/english/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4412&Itemid=1

  *Ozair Nissar*
*Srinagar, Jan 01:* Stating that Kashmir has been fighting hard for its
identity for more than last five hundred years, State Finance Minister Tariq
Hamid Karra today said that the idea of self-rule will empower Kashmir with
its own currency.

Asked by reporters at the J&K Bank's calendar launch Monday, that when will
Kashmir have its own currency, Karra replied, "Self-rule will enable the
State to have its own currency and reviving it will be road-map for coming
generation and this will help Kashmir to have its own identity for which it
has struggled hard over the last five hundred years."

Karra sounded optimistic about the revival of Kashmiri currency and coins
that were on display at the venue which the bank has planned to showcase in
its calendar next year.

He said that these coins which date back to the 14th century certify the
fact that Kashmir used to have its own currency in the past.
"These coins are somehow in correlation with the ideology of our party which
is based on self-reliance and self rule.

"The coins on one side depict that Kashmir in its earlier times had its own
economy for which we are striving even today for many reasons and on the
other these depict that Kashmir had a unique cultural identity which as a
nation we have been fighting for ages now," said Karra.

This year's J&K Bank's calendar has a theme of Kashmir everywhere - a break
from the tradition as earlier its calenders would showcase pilgrimage
destinations, landscapes and cultural diversity.

While speaking about the calendar which was released today he said, "The
calendar is altogether different from the earlier one`s which would depict
tourist resorts, pilgrimage destinations and landscapes of the region but
this effort of J&K bank is an endeavour to take us back to our roots and
culture and history is witness to the fact that a nation which is not aware
of its roots and culture struggles for its existence as we are struggling
today."

Karra further said that the schemes and policies launched by the bank have a
grass root traction and promoting a particular art and handicraft is a
service to the entrepreneurs and other craftsman of the nation.