[Reader-list] [Poem of the week] Ram Setu

TaraPrakash taraprakash at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 22:24:14 IST 2008

Thanks Vivek. I too have a poem to share.
In the light of the VHP procession concerning Ram Setu, last week, I was
reminded of a poem by Hindi poet Ajneya, pen name for Sachchidananda
Hirananda Vatsyayan which I think is *the Hindi poem of the modern age of
Hindi poetry. The poem is about 40 years old, however, like a true classic
it is relevant for all ages and places.
But before transliterating the poem I would like to narrate what I heard
from some of the VHP activists who had come to Delhi to participate in the
protest. On being asked by a correspondent why the Setu should not be
broken, one of them said, and I am translating here "It is very useful for
the people of India. They walk on it to reach Sri Lanka." On being asked who
is planning to break it another said, "America and specially NASA is after
it." Who made it? one replied, "Sri Rama."

Following is the poem:

Jo pul banaaenge
Vo piche rah jaaenge.
Paar utaregi sena