[Reader-list] Foucault as a genealogist : Response to Sadan

ARNAB CHATTERJEE apnawritings at yahoo.co.in
Fri Jan 4 16:18:22 IST 2008

Dear Sadan,
            Thank you! Your prompt response actually
begins the discussion where I gues others will soon
join in and we shall all learn and unlearn  from each
other in a very very creative way.
  You do recognise Foucault and I think let us limit
ourselves to a few texts in the beginning. I shall
keep aside Derrida and Agamben on archives, since none
of them claimed to have been practising genealogy like
Foucault. And my hunch was simply this : to involve
many who have been doing things on archives etc and
make such an involved statement as you've done. It is
not a comment on yr text in the Censor book. But your
one might be engaged later while we discuss memory vis
a vis Foucault and Nietzsche. I'm perturbed by one
question here and let me state that for all :
genealogy has a problem with origins ( singular or
not) and therefore distrusts history but still
Foucault calls for heavy documentation using volatile
sources : What is the difference between sources and
origins?
    And Sadan, neither I'm making a case for the non
existence of archives. I'm far from making any such
logistical suggestions, I'm troubled by the compulsion
with which the question of the archive is driven at
some who have been trying to practise something
else.This question remains to be settled, yes I am
sincere here and I can quote you major incidents here
and abroad. Let us try to find a way out.
So, its purely an academic question for me and I think
all of us.
    More soon
love
arnab