[Reader-list] Amaranth Yatra

Kashmir Affairs kashaffairs at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 2 12:57:53 IST 2008

Aarthi,
Kashmiri Muslims offering food and shelter to the yatris is old practice. I will give you one example in recent times. When in 1996 due to unseasonal blizzards and uncontrollable number of yatris [70,000 on one day by some accounts], the yatris were stranded for nearly a week.
People in Islamabad [Anantnag] made free langers at Nai Basti, Sarnal, Kadipora, Khanabal, Anchidora, Mattan and Che and sheltered thousands of yatris in their homes, shops and even mosques. In Che, there was a small incident which i thought was funny, when the yatris thanking god for thier safety started shouting 'bolo amarnath ki jai' while housed in mosque. However, Yatris were not thrown out of the mosque, though some people questioned the practice while others laughed.
As a child we used to stand on the either side of road in Kadipora greeting walking yatris with 'babu ji sitaram'..... Certainly those days yatra was peaceful and a very low key affair. But now as any religion is marketed and branded, Amarnath Yatra has fallen to it as well.

Murtaza Shibli
www.kashmiraffairs.org