[Reader-list] Sikhs support Geelani [Rising Kashmir]

Shivam Vij शिवम् विज् mail at shivamvij.com
Thu Jul 3 20:55:23 IST 2008

Sikhs support Geelani

Abid Bashir
[Rising Kashmir]

http://www.kashmirwatch.com/showheadlines.php?subaction=showfull&id=1214399557&archive=&start_from=&ucat=1&var0news=value0news

Srinagar, June 24: Demanding the land transfer decision should be
revoked forthwith, State president of All India Shromani Akali Dal
Joginder Singh Shan on Tuesday extended full support to the Hurriyat
(G) Chairman Syed Ali Geelani against his fight against the allotment
of 800 kanals of forest land to Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB) at
Baltal.

 "Every inch of Kashmir belongs to its people-Muslims, Sikhs and
Kashmir Pandits. We will not allow the sale of our land at any cost.
We support Geelani's stand against SASB. We, too, feel that Amarnath
Yatra should be handed over to Kashmiri Pandits. The decision of land
transfer should be revoked immediately," Shan told Rising Kashmir on
the sidelines of a press conference here.

He said Kashmiri Pandits are capable enough to handle the Yatra. "As
we are taking care of our Gurdwaras, Kashmiri Pandits can easily
handle Yatra and take care of the cave as well," Shan said. "As far
the tented accommodations for Yatris, local Muslims can do that given
their expertise."

He said, SASB has always been in controversy from the day one it was
formed. "It (SASB) has triggered communal frenzy in the state. Police
is now using force against the peaceful protesters, which is wrong.
One person was killed in police firing, we strongly condemn that,"
Shan said.

He said Sikhs were not against the Yatra, but transferring forest land
to the SASB that has not even a single Kashmiri member is highly
condemnable. "Why it became a need to transfer the land to SASB this
year only as the Yatra has been going on for past several decades,"
questioned Shan.

He said Kashmiri people have suffered a lot over the past 18 years of
continuous strife. "We (Sikhs) also have suffered immensely. We have
been suffering in Kashmir since Dogra rule. Muslims, Pandits and Sikhs
have gone through hell here," Shan said. "But the day is not far, when
truth will prevail and atrocities will end."