[Reader-list] Scuffle near Hazratbal; Shabir Shah among 14 injured

S. Jabbar sonia.jabbar at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 13:07:17 IST 2008

I think you may want to ask why it was necessary to begin a victory rally
from a religious place and how any of us would have reacted if Advani were
to embark on another 'victory' rally from Somnath or Ayodhya. These
so-called victory rallies will only add fuel to the Jammu-Kashmir/
Hindu-Muslim conflagration.

Hazrat Bal and the Jama Masjid are not neutral sites and have been
politically charged ever since the 1930s when the Quit Kashmir movement was
launched against the Maharaja.  What must have started off as an equally
'peaceful' gathering turned violent and a man was killed.  That was reason
enough for mass rioting.  You may be aware of the siege of Hazrat Bal in the
early '90s or for that matter the siege of Charar e-Sharif in '95 or for
that matter the Golden Temple in the '80s.

The Hurriyat is not unaware that the state cannot risk a religious site
becoming another site of contestation.  It would try and control what in all
likelihood would turn into yet another communally charged and violent event.
And yet it decided to go ahead.  The stakes are high and I really don't
think anyone is above using religion to further their political ends.
--sj

On 7/5/08 12:43 PM, "Shivam Vij शिवम् विज्" <mail at shivamvij.com> wrote:

> This is what happens when you prevent people from addressing
> peaceful
gatherings...

o o o o

Scuffle near Hazratbal; Shabir Shah among
> 14 injured

Special Correspondent, 5 July
> 2008
http://www.hindu.com/2008/07/05/stories/2008070559931300.htm

The clash
> followed prayers to celebrate the "victory" in the land transfer
> issue

SRINAGAR: Senior Hurriyat Conference leader Shabir Shah was among
> 14
people injured on Friday, following a scuffle between police and
supporters
> of separatist leaders after they offered prayers at the
Hazratbal shrine to
> celebrate the recent "victory" in the land
transfer issue.

The call for
> "Hazratbal Chalo" was given by Syed Ali Geelani, head of
a faction of the
> Hurriyat Conference and supported by Mirwaiz Umar
Farooq, head of another.
> However, both were placed under house arrest
by the police. Mr. Shah and other
> leaders, however, reached Hazratbal
amid heavy deployment of police and
> paramilitary CRPF and offered
prayers besides addressing the people.

Mr. Shah
> and Ashraf Sehrai, another senior leader denounced the
government for putting
> Mr. Geelani and Mr. Mirwaiz under house arrest.

A protester hurls back a tear
> smoke shell towards the police.

On their way back, Mr. Shabir Shah, Mr.
> Sehrai, Naeem Khan, Sheikh
Aziz, Shafi Reshi, Firdous Shah and others led a
> strong procession,
which was lathi-charged.

Fourteen people, including Mr.
> Shabir Shah, were injured. He was
shifted to the S.K. Institute of Medical
> Sciences (SKIMS) for
treatment.

Even as rumours spread that he was critical,
> Director SKIMS Abdul
Hamid Zargar told The Hindu that he was stable. Another
> procession
taken from Jamia Masjid and led by the head imam, was dispersed
> by
police with smoke shells. Many people were arrested. Another
> Hurriyat
leader Javed Mir was arrested when he tried to take out a
> procession
towards Hazratbal in Khanyar