[Reader-list] Construction of bridge over Neela hauz, Vasant Kunj

Nitya Jacob nityajacob at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 5 17:37:25 IST 2008

Dear all

The PWD through its
contractor Valecha Construction Limited is constructing a bridge over the Neela Hauz in Vasant
Kunj. The construction began about a month ago and the contractor has
been filling parts of the hauz, which is an old water body in south
Delhi, with mud and rocks, to provide the foundations for the bridge. He
claims the mud and rocks will be removed once the flyover is
constructed, but in the meantime, they will be cause immense damage to
the pond.

The pond is critical to maintaining water levels in south Delhi,
especially the Mehrauli block, where the water table has fallen the
fastest, and is the most critical block in the whole of Delhi. You can
imagine the effect on the water table of thousands of illegal tubewells,
installed in homes and farm houses, and there are only a few such
natural water bodies in the region that have helped maintain it. If this
is destroyed or harmed during construction of the bridge, it will
greatly affect the availability of water in the entire locality.

Further, this area is rocky and at the tail end of the Aravali hills.
The water table has to be maintained to preserve the greenery of the
region, which is a designated forest area by DDA. It is also the last
patch of forest left in the region as the DDA has converted the entire
forest area near Vasant Vihar into malls and institutional land. This
forest is sustained on the water table, and in turn helps to keep the
water table as a reasonable level. It is essential for maintaining the
climate of the region as well as stopping the desertification of Delhi.

I am writing to ask you to visit the place and support us in monitoring the project to ensure that the
government restores the hauz after the bridge is built. We
are NOT opposed to the construction of the bridge, but want the
government to fulfil its promises of removing the mud and rocks dumped
in the hauz to facilitate construction of the bridge.

Can you please call me and I can help you visit the place when its
convenient to you. We are planning to set up a citizens' group to
monitor the construction and ensure the contractor and the government do
what they have promised in restoring the hauz.

Regards
Nitya