[Reader-list] Not so peaceful message from Hazratbal

Rahul Asthana rahul_capri at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 5 23:22:42 IST 2008

(sorry for repost..it bounced last time for some reason)
I wonder why we don't want to get out of their ideological comfort zones. Is it because we are too old or we are too young?
On one side there are people who will argue there was nothing communal in the resistance to the so called "disturbing of demographic balance" and on other side we have people who have great disdain for covertly communal pseudo seculars but cant acknowledge the overtly communal BJP etc.
I think this is because our world views and our politics hinge on some assumptions and we think we will disintegrate if we have to reconcile it with something contrary to that assumption.So, A group believes that the Muslims are incapable of being communal and the other group believes that all Hindu communalism is just a reaction to Muslim communalism.
Are we only capable of thinking in binaries? I normally desist from discussing people but I think it is extremely important to understand the psychology at work here.It also doesn't help that the binary people will invariably be more passionate about their cause than the non-binary ones; and these people are making peaceful coexistence in India difficult.
Now,RSS-BJP has always had this concept of Hindu India.There are factions of it which have a communal product to sell,all over India,wherever it can find any takers.If we refuse to acknowledge the inherent communalism in some of the politics of this issue,we are basically opening up  a market for BJP  in which they have a monopoly.
Finally,I can't thank Sonia Jabbar enough for her posts to this list.I admit I am biased towards people who can see without having to rely on ideological lenses.