[Reader-list] Scuffle near Hazratbal; Shabir Shah among 14 injured

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 6 00:27:51 IST 2008

Dear Sonia

There is nothing surprising in the religious place Hazrartbal being the start-point for the 'victory' rally. It only reinforces the evaluation that the 'victory' was sought by one religion over the other. For those who achieved the 'victory', what better place to start the celebration than a Shrine/Mosque.

Our 'secular' commentators may spout various theories and analyses but those who were a part of that 'victory' were obviously honest about what they had achieved and in the name of which religion.

Whether it has been the 1931 'bread movement' or the intense rivalry between the 'sher' (of Sheikh Abdullah) and 'bakra' (of Maulvi Farooq) or the Hurriyat (freedom/separatist) movement, the pulpits of both Hazratbal and Jama Masjid have been used as much for political speeches/sloganeering and calls for separatism as they have been for religious sermons.

It has always amused me to see Umar Farooq (as just one example among others) indulge in such political speeches/sloganeering from Jama Masjid, or visit and seek support from his Political Mecca of OIC (and/or Pakistan) and yet at the same time hypocritically claim that the "Hurriyat" movement is a secular one.

It has amused me more to see how easily the likes of Umar Farooq, Prof Abdul Ghani Bhat, Shabbir Shah (and other Hurriyat 'moderates') are able to fool people into buying their 'secular' credentials.

My Kashmiri Pandit brethren might lynch me for saying this, but I have much more respect for the constant political position of someone like Hurriyati hardliner Syed Ali Shah Geelani (even if I disagree with his arguments) who is firm in his belief that J&K as Muslim Majority 'territory' should be a part of Pakistan.

I am sure you did not mean to equate the situations but I found it strange that you mentioned in the same breath the "peaceful... victory rally" starting from Hazratbal with "siege of Hazrat Bal in the early '90s or for that matter the siege of Charar e-Sharif in '95 or
for that matter the Golden Temple in the '80s".

In all three 'siege' mentioned, there were bands of armed terrorists holed up inside the three religious places. Some might choose to call them 'freedom fighters' or "Mujahideen".

Kshmendra