[Reader-list] [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: Amaranth Land Issue]]

Tapas Ray tapasrayx at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 03:33:08 IST 2008

Radhika and all others,

I have done it again. Many of the messages I thought I had posted over
the last few days, in fact went only to Radhika. Naturally, when she
responded, her messages came only to me, and did not reach the list. As
a result, the part that was actually posted, must have seemed disjointed
and confusing.

I don't know if anyone will have the patience to read the conversation,
but I am posting it anyway, as a sort of digest, starting from the point
where I think the irregularity began, so that those who are interested,
can see what it's all about. I have arranged the posts chronologically,
last one first. That way you will see what exactly each post was
responding to.

I have tried to get it right this time at least, but apologies in
advance if I have missed some post(s). And apologies also to members, as
well as the list administrators, for including one or two messages that
did go to the list. I had to do this to ensure some kind of continuity
and logical connection between one post and the next.

I don't know if this kind of thing happens to others, but it happens to
me all the time. Could the administrators please see if anything can be
done to prevent this? I mean, maybe changing the settings of the
software will help.

Tapas

PS: The first message below - the one directly underneath this PS - is a
continuation of the last message I sent to Radhika, which comes next,
and so on.

Radhika,

I sent off the last email to you in a bit of a hurry, and missed a
couple of points. Good thing I thought of writing about those now - or I
wouldn't have known that I've been messing up not just one or two but
many of my messages (sending them to you and not the list), as a result
of which you have been doing the same by hitting reply or reply all. I
am to blame, totally.

I agree with you that politicians should stay away from religion in
their public lives. But this goes for all politicians and all religions.
Do BJP and Shiv Sena politicians set an example? You have given two
examples. Let me add one: many CPI(M) "leaders", at least among those
who operate at the local level, are involved in community Pujas in West
Bengal on a fairly large scale.

As for harmony, no one in his or her senses will say that's not needed.
But each community has to do its bit. Are you sure the Hindutva people
are always reacting, never acting? I have already pointed out (in the
last message, pasted below) one instance which seems to disprove that
theory: you believe Muslims started asserting their religious identity
through their dress after 1975. I suggested that they might have been
reacting to the Parivar, whose attitude was clear in a 1971 quotation
from the Organiser. We can probably go farther back, but later.

About bringing criminals to book, is it only Muslims that get off the
hook? No Hindu MLA, MP, or anybody with the right connections?

Tapas