[Reader-list] Fwd: FACT Exhibition at IHC

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Sat Jul 12 14:33:11 IST 2008

Dear Aditya, dear Pankhuree, dear all,

Thank you, Aditya, for forwarding information about the FACT
(Foundation Against Continuing Terrorism) sponsored exhibition
titled: 'Naxalism: A Threat to the Unified Nation of India'

While I am no sympathizer of Maoism, or those who are either called
'Maoists' or 'Naxalites' in India, I do have a few bones to pick with
the contents of the exhibition at the India Habitat Centre that you
have recommended to us.

While looking at what pretends to be information of this nature it is
always useful to do a little thinking about numbers. The statistics
of casualties in the FACT exhibition are taken from the monthly
statistics and reports published in the South Asia Intelligence
Review by the South Asia Terrorism Portal, a think tank headed by the
notorious former Punjab police chief who masterminded disappearances
and the utilization of 'renegade' militants as an instrument of
policy in Punjab and the North East,  architect of the Indian hockey
team's disasters and well known pincher of women's bottoms, Mr. KPS
GIll. I am a regular recipient of the SAIR and I happen to follow the
figures that are mentioned in its reports quite diligently.

I have no quarrel with the reports, as such, as I have no way of
assessing their accuracy, or inaccuracy. However, I do have a quarrel
with the way in which this information is presented in the FACT
exhibition. In each instance, there is a heading called 'civilian
casualties' . Let us take the Table that says 'Naxal Violence in
Chattisgarh' and analyse the information given for the year 2007

" Security Forces Casualties 181
Civilian Casualties 166
Naxalites Killed 66 "

What I find interesting is the figure for 'Civilian Casualties'.
Given in this way, it appears as if the 'Civilians' killed are due to
'Naxal' violence. The sources of these figures, the SAIR bulletins,
simply title their tables as  "Weekly Fatalities: Major Conflicts in
South Asia" , which in my opinion, is a far more precise way of
talking about the casualty figures, because it does not actually
attribute specific authorship to the violence. This is significant,
because the 'civilans' while they may be targetted on occasion by the
Maoists, are also, generally, in a far larger measure, targetted by
the security forces, and the 'Anti-Maoist' militia called the Salwa
Judum. So, when we see 'civilian casualties' we are looking at a
number of people who may have been killed, by 'Naxals', by security
forces, by militia like the 'Salwa Judum'. Since, 'Naxals' depend on
their survival on the sympathies (and to a certain extent, fear) of
the tribal poor, it is extremely unrealistic to deduce that they
would in fact be the primary authors of the violence that is
described as 'civilian casualties'. Numerous investigations report
that the actual primary authors of this violence are the security
forces, and the Salwa Judum, both of which act with impunity in
Chattisgarh. In this instance, the FACT exhibition is indulging in a
serious case of disinformation. It could be argued that it is doing
so at the behest of the primary authors of this violence, that is,
the security forces and those who have floated outfits such as the
'Salwa Judum'.

In the FACT exhibition text, the Salwa Judum is introduced as 'Hope
Floats'. It is by now well documented that the Salwa Judum is in fact
one of the deadliest and most lethal armed outfits operating in
India, which coerces tribals who are forced into detention camps to
join it as footsoldiers, which uses child soldiers and uses rape,
torture and arson. It has become an instrument of state terror, and
is supported by the corporate interests which have a stake in the
mining operations in the area to clear tribals off the land that the
mining companies lust after.

Even the South Asia Terrorism Portal (which the FACT exhibition
relies on extensively, otherwise) has this to say about the Salwa Judum

"However, local reports from the areas witnessing the campaign have
been disturbing, with analysts questioning the policy of state
support to a vigilante movement that exposes large numbers of
civilians to unacceptable risk. According to a former Director
General of Police, Dr. K S Subramanian, “While official sources
maintain that the campaign, led by a local legislator, is hugely
successful with the tribal people joining it in large numbers, local
enquiries revealed a different picture. In the name of Salwa Judum,
the tribal people are being forced to join a far from spontaneous
mobilisation… Hundreds have been killed on both sides. A large area
of land remains uncultivated; tribal people who are meant to work on
the land have deserted the villages and are living under open skies
and are starving. A vast amount of corruption has crept in as a
result of this misconceived campaign with the ruling party spending
huge amounts on it.”

http://www.satp.org/satporgtp/sair/archives/4_33.htm

For a more detailed investigation of the Salwa Judum's 'spontaneous'
activities, please see - the PUCL  (Peoples Union for Civil
Liberties) report on the Salwa Judum at

http://www.pucl.org/Topics/Human-rights/2006/slawajudum.htm

There are other howlers in the exhibition, such as the fact that. the
Ranvir Sena is mentioned as a Naxalite organization. Now, the Ranvir
Sena, as is very well known, is a militia of upper caste landowners
in Bihar and parts of Jharkhand that has actually been at war (like
the Salwa Judum) with the Naxals for several decades now. Calling the
Ranvir Sena a 'Naxalite' organization is a bit like calling Panun
Kashmir, or Roots in Kashmir a front organization of the JKLF or the
Hizbul Mujahideen in Kashmir.

Finally, a word about FACT, the outfit that has organized this
exhibition. The moving force behind FACT is the rather flamboyant
French expatriate journalist based in Delhi, Francois Gautier, whose
sympathies for hard line Hindu Fundamentalism has never been a secret.

He founded FACT with money he got from the'Nachiketa' Journalism
prize awarded to him by the then Prime Minister of India Mr Atal
Bihari Vajpayee on behalf of the Government of India. The Nachiketa
prize has been instituted by the Panchajanya group of publications,
which just happens to be the inhouse publishing arm of the Rashtriya
Svayamsevak Sangh (RSS)

Gautier's services as the South Asia Correspondent of the French
newspaper, Le Figaro were terminated in 2000 on the grounds of his
obviously biased (and often factually compromised) reportage. He has
since then, spent time acting as the chief public relations point man
for Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, and getting even closer to sections of the
political far right in India.

Apologies for this lengthy response, but I think it is necessary to
have a few facts straight about FACT. Our patriots, while they have a
great deal of enthusiasm, are not generally well known for precision,
and the boring matter of attempting to maintain a consistency with,
em, the facts.

regards,

Shuddha