[Reader-list] Fwd: FACT Exhibition at IHC‏

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 13 17:32:26 IST 2008

Dear Ms Dube

If the BSP has "begun to ignore the demands of the majority of Dalits, the rural poor" as suggested, then the BSP I presume will lose 'that' vote and suffer in the elections. Rather, perhaps be wiped out since the majority support base of the BSP is Dalit and the majority of the Dalits are "poor" and the majority of the Dalits are "rural".

Why is it difficult to imagine that the Adivasis can emulate the BSP example? Does being "forest dependant" and being "non-urban" preclude the Advisasis from being able to take up collective political thought or action? Being "non-urban" at least, certainly does not prevent the majority of the people in India from participating in the political process.

You have mentioned that the "the adivasis (are seen as) .... footsoldiers of the Naxalite movement" and that there exists the "communitarian politics and political philosophy of the adivasis". Both comments suggest that there is "political awareness" amongst the adivasis.

Would the advisasis perhaps be better placed than the Dalits were?

The Adivasis are primarily on the fringes of the "social order" and can carve out a new and separate political space for themselves without such an initiative appearing to be directly threatening to already entrenched politics. You yourself have cited the examples of Jharkhand and Chattisgarh.

The Dalits on the other hand had to 'revolt'  and snatch political space form those very elements from who they faced the suppression. Quite a confrontation.

Just some thoughts.

Kshmendra