[Reader-list] two strange stories about women in india

Noora Zul noorazul at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 08:38:36 IST 2008

Dear Yousuf & Rob

I couldn't resist adding this. I'm actually from Singapore, and Malay in
terms of ethnicity (in terms of skin colour, we tend towards being brown).
The skin-whitening ad 'phenomenon' also exists here, and similarly in
Malaysia and Indonesia (which is more preponderantly Malay peoples). And it
does seem to break racial boundaries, because there are ads too targeting at
the Chinese women. It is quite an obsession, with products ranging from
specific whitening creams to things like compacts boasting additional
whitening properties. There is (strangely) the ambition to be fair in an
extremely sunny tropical region, where getting a tan is more easily
achieved. This was kinda sharpened for me when I noticed that when I was
living in London, it seemed that tanning products were more of 'the rage'.

Noora