[Reader-list] Farewell to our Humid Weimar

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Tue Jul 15 12:59:51 IST 2008

Er,

Radhikarajen,

You have still not answered Kshemendra's question.

I still do not see how, when a state considers participating within
an international system of co-operation on Nuclear Energy that
requires members to clearly separate civil and nuclear facilities, in
a manner that states do, for instance with regard to Chemical and
Biological weapons, how, its prime minister becomes a lap dog of the
US presidency. As a matter of fact, if India does go to the IAEA ( a
body of which it is a member, already) it opens out possibilities of
completely ignoring the United States of America. It does mean giving
a set of guarantees to the International community about not acting
like a rogue state with regard to Nuclear weapons. Of course, India,
does not want to do that, just as it does not want to ratify the
international convention against torture. The instruments of torture
give a state so much leverage in terms of enjoying 'strategic
autonomy' from the rights of its own citizens.

I am not at all surprised that the brand of patriotism that is
fretting and fuming so much about 'strategic autonomy' requires
mandatory commitments to weapons of mass destruction and torture, but
signing the IAEA does not amount to being anybody's lapdog. Many
years ago, I remember that the representatives of the trade unions
tied to the coat-tails of the Communist Parties of India (Marxist)
and the Communist Party of India (unbracketed), had protested in
unison with their colleagues who were sympathetic to the BJP and the
Congress, against conforming to International standards on labour
conditions, during discussions on what were termed the 'social
clause' on workers rights in the WTO agreements. This was done on the
grounds of the same patriotism. Meaning, they had wanted to protect
the Indian bourgeoisie's right to super-exploit Indian workers, in
order to protect 'Indian' Capital in the global market.

It is natural that those who want to protect Capital against Labour
should also want to hold on to Nuclear Weapons as a marker of
strategic autonomy for the nation state.

Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrels, and their bosses.

regards

Shuddha