[Reader-list] Farewell to our Humid Weimar

Tapas Ray tapasrayx at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 18:47:19 IST 2008

Partha,

Although you were writing in response to Kshemendra's reply to
Radhikarajen, I hope you won't mind if I butt in, because your post is
on an issue I wrote about yesterday, and also earlier.

Your question is straightforward, but I am afraid the answer cannot be
simple or straightforward, and any solution to the problem cannot be a
quick one. Not simple because it lies outside the framework within which
your question has meaning. Not quick, because adopting a new framework
is not something the world can do quickly. The situation we see today
has not developed in a year or a decade. The way of thinking that has
led to it, has matured over centuries. So, it wouldn't be reasonable to
expect a solution that would work in a couple of years or a decade.

The framework I am talking about is the "technological civilization" of
the modern world. "Technological" here is broader than what we usually
mean by technological, which is something that has to do with the
practical application of scientific knowledge. Here it means a
civilization of fixes.

This is how it works. You encounter problem A, and you find a solution.
You come up against another problem. So you find another fix. So on, ad
infinitum. Your response to problems B, C, D, etc., go the same way. The
problems are treated as discrete, and the solutions you look for are
discrete. You may find links between C and D, and work out a solution
that take care of both, but your overall approach is the above.

Take an example. Air pollution is too bad in Delhi. So they got
autorickshaws, taxis and buses to switch from diesel to LNG, and autos
from two-stroke to four-stroke engines. Then researchers saw that
pollutants A and B went down, but C and D went up. So the government has
to look for another fix. Then a fix for the unintended consequences of
that second fix, etc.

At the same time, you notice that the ever-growing number of vehicles is
canceling out your gains from all these fixes. So you switch to
electric. Then you notice you need huge amounts of electricity to charge
all those batteries. But oil, coal, hydel, etc. are scarce resources.
You turn to nuclear power, which is fundamentally, by its very nature,
an unsafe technology. You devise safety measures. Then, when you face
new problems that you hadn't foreseen, you find more solutions. One
cannot blame the technologists, because nobody can anticipate every new
type of problem that may arise, or even every kind of failure your
safety mechanisms may be susceptible to.

In the meantime, the demand for power hasn't remained constant. You need
more and more nuclear plants until other technologies, such as hydrogen,
wind, and solar become economically viable on the scale we are talking
about. That could take a long time. Even if it doesn't, once those are
used on the scale we need, maybe earlier, you may find problems that you
had not, or could not have anticipated. Etc.

To find an answer to your question that goes beyond a fix-to-fix
existence, we need to come out of this way of thinking, and adopt a new
way, in which energy shortage would not be the problem. It is the way we
think about comfort, necessity, etc. That would be the "problem" we need
to "solve". If we had continued to beat the heat in the way our
ancestors had learned to do from thousands of years of living in hot
climates, we would have seen our relationship to the weather in a
different way. Hot weather would not be a problem to be fixed or an
enemy to be conquered with airconditioners, but something to be lived
with as a normal part of life, and to accommodate ourselves within.

That would not be difficult: over hundreds of thousands of years of
evolution (from apes and earlier), the human body has constantly adapted
itself to its habitat - even in extreme climates like the Sahara and the
Arctic region. But by changing its habitat in fundamental ways over the
last few centuries, it has interrupted that adaptive process and turned
it in a new direction, away from harmony with our natural habitat. On
the evolutionary time scale, this has happened what would probably be a
few minutes ago or less on our human time scale. So it is not too late
to turn back.

As for the ways of keeping cool that people have learned over thousands
of years, one is the simple way of the ancient Roman civilization. They
would keep their windows closed during the day and open them wide in the
evening. I have personally seen that it's very effective. But then,
partly out of necessity, I live with heat, not eliminate it - a better
word would be expel - from my life. And the Roman method is not the only
one. Other methods have evolved in different regions and continents.
Those are being used, as we speak, by the vast majority of the global
population, which cannot afford airconditioners.

If we were to start thinking in this way - I mean, look at our
relationship with nature not as a matter of conquest or problem solving
but as a matter of integration and harmony - the energy crunch would be
a thing of the past.

What I have said so far is nothing new, and many people have been
thinking this way for a long time. But it's not individuals who count
for such a fundamental change. It's the entire human civilization.
Obviously, this cannot happen in a matter of years. Even if every human
being were to start today, it would still take decades, maybe a century
or more, to change the direction, given the momentum human civilization
as a whole has picked up over centuries.

But we need to start the process now, because every day lost is one more
day in the wrong direction and a little more momentum in that direction.
In practical terms, the immediate thing to do is to contain and then
reduce levels of consumption, and at the same time bring about some kind
of redistributive justice so that the poor, who have to live in harsh
conditions, can get some degree of comfort. Apart from the moral and
ethical side, this also has a practical side.

If the poor do not see an improvement in their standard of living, which
comes to at least some of them through the trickle-down effect, they
will say, logically enough, that the new direction is not acceptable
because it prevents them from even aspiring to even a small fraction of
the comforts the rich have been enjoying for quite a while. That is what
India and China have been saying when rich countries press for an
across-the-board limit in greenhouse gas emissions.

I know this is not a complete answer and there are many complexities of
the issue that I haven't touched upon. I wish I could write more, but
I really cannot spend more time over this. Maybe later.

Tapas