[Reader-list] Farewell to our Humid Weimar

Pranesh Prakash the.solipsist at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 15:20:35 IST 2008

Enclosed below, a leader from today's Times of India.

Quote: "It would be more honest to admit that the Indo-US nuclear deal is a
three-in-one document comprising a civilian energy cooperation agreement
with the US, de facto NPT and de facto CTBT."

However, the author does not explain how the consquences of nuclear testing
after the civilian nuclear energy agreement are any different from the
consequences of nuclear testing without the agreement.  In both cases, India
is going to be faced with international sanctions (of lesser magnitude, from
what I can see, after the agreement because of the assured-fuel-supply
clause, though I may very well be wrong).  However, by signing the deal, it
can at least negotiate with the NSG for supply of uranium.

Quote: "Interestingly, most western powers have been vigorously pushing for
the deal, although with greater sophistication than the sledgehammer tactics
characteristically employed by Americans. Diplomacy, after all, is not based
on altruism. Surely, they are not falling over one another out of love or
compassion for India."

The deal cannot be rejected by reason of it benefiting other nations.  What
has to be seen is whether it benefits us also.  After all, international
politics is not a zero-sum game.

All this does not add up to support of nuclear energy, however.  There might
be significant reasons to reject nuclear energy, namely a) its ecological
impact, b) its cost-efficiency.  But such dubious reasons as "national
security" and U.S. lapdogism should not come in the way of nuclear energy.

Please see
http://svaradarajan.blogspot.com/2007/08/insulating-indias-reactors-from-fuel.htmlfor
an excellent analysis of what would happen in a worst-case scenario
after signing of the deal.

--------------

Leader Article: What's In It For Us?
16 Jul 2008, 0000 hrs IST, Chandan Mitra

Does India need a civilian nuclear energy agreement with the US? Is this the
best deal we could have got? Why is the Bush administration trying so hard
to push India into signing this deal? Has the prime minister gone about it
in the best possible way? Are we bartering away our nuclear sovereignty in
the process, thereby endangering our goal to maintain a credible nuclear
deterrent?

These are some of the key questions that needed to be satisfactorily
answered in the context of the ongoing controversy that has snowballed to a
point where it threatens the stability of the Manmohan Singh government.

Unfortunately, the political rhetoric that is flying thick and fast for the
last one year and more has obfuscated the core issues involved.

Enough has been spoken and written about the need to secure India's energy
needs, especially in view of rising oil prices and India's near-total
dependence on imports. Sceptics, on the other hand, have argued that even
after investing billions of dollars to set up new reactors, nuclear power
will contribute just about 7 per cent of the country's energy requirements
by 2020.

But even if it is conceded that India needs every extra megawatt of energy
that can be generated, whatever the source, the question still remains
whether the Indo-US nuclear deal in its present form is the best that we
could have bargained for. On balance, it appears that the deal is good for
everybody else, apart from India.

First, we will end up putting huge sums into the coffers of foreign
manufacturers of nuclear reactors — mainly French, Russian and American.
Second, the estimated cost per unit of nuclear energy will be prohibitively
high compared to coal, gas and even crude. Can India afford power at such a
high cost when alternative sources have not been exhausted? Without getting
into the nuclear sovereignty issue, it can be asserted that the additional
energy to be generated through uranium-based reactors will be of dubious
benefit.

It is often argued that the US administration has been exerting pressure on
the Indian establishment because President George W Bush, reeling under
unfavourable popularity ratings, wants to exhibit it as his one great
foreign policy success. This is utterly fallacious: most Americans have not
even heard of this deal, given their proverbial insularity and
self-obsession. Further, the Republicans are hardly expected to make this an
issue in the November presidential election.

Interestingly, most western powers have been vigorously pushing for the
deal, although with greater sophistication than the sledgehammer tactics
characteristically employed by Americans. Diplomacy, after all, is not based
on altruism. Surely, they are not falling over one another out of love or
compassion for India.

Apart from the business potential, the deal is being driven in western
capitals by the motive of firmly roping India into the non-proliferation
regime. India has an unblemished record here, but there are concerns about
the future in view of the volatility of the Asian theatre. Since India
cannot officially be admitted into the NPT, the deal has attempted to
manoeuvre us into a situation where New Delhi becomes a de facto signatory
to the NPT, just as we will be conferred the dubious distinction of being a
de facto nuclear weapons state once we sign the deal.

Following the disclosure of the text of the IAEA safeguards agreement, it is
abundantly clear that, while international inspection and safeguards shall
be imposed permanently on our reactors, the exemptions remain doubtful. It
is widely known that for all practical purposes no further testing shall be
permitted. The government has repeatedly highlighted the "walk out" clause
to claim that India can test whenever it wants and even if the US imposes
sanctions, we can still negotiate with other countries in the Nuclear
Suppliers Group to maintain uninterrupted uranium imports. This is complete
hogwash. Can anybody in his right mind believe that the US will
patronisingly oversee the supply of fissile material by other countries even
after India conducts another nuclear test?

It would be more honest to admit that the Indo-US nuclear deal is a
three-in-one document comprising a civilian energy cooperation agreement
with the US, de facto NPT and de facto CTBT. A discussion on the merits and
demerits of the deal would be meaningful only if we begin from this premise
instead of deluding ourselves into believing that, possessed by a burning
desire to help India, the US wants to hand out a "give-give" agreement with
us and that nothing will change as far as our military nuclear programme is
concerned.

Whichever way you look at the deal, honestly or deceitfully, it is a huge
political albatross. Manmohan Singh has been forced to risk his government's
fate and enter into a questionable alliance with a party not known for
scrupulous adherence to norms of probity in public life. When the prime
minister first challenged the Left to pull out last September, it was
perhaps the best moment for the Congress to go for an early election buoyed
by high growth, manageable inflation and opposition incoherence.

Today, all three factors are ranged unfavourably against the ruling party.
Manmohan Singh has never claimed to be a master strategist, but others in
his party are known for their political acumen and manipulative skills.
However, they got cold feet last year and now the Congress is set to pay a
price for their vacillation. In politics, as in other spheres of life, you
win only if you dare; defeat is inevitable if you dither and delay.

(The writer is a member of the Rajya Sabha)