[Reader-list] Shame on IITs

Tapas Ray tapasrayx at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 20:20:42 IST 2008

Ranjith,

Let me tell you upfront that I am an IITan, so that you know the context
of my response. However, I have not been an engineer for a long time.
That said, I have a couple of things to say.

One, I think you should tell us what you mean by 'IT koolies'. That
would clarify your thoughts not just on the reservation issue but on the
broader issue of what role the IITs should play, if they are playing it
now, and if not, what they should do to close the gap. I wrote an
article along these lines in The Statesman a few years ago, and will try
to dig it up if anyone is interested, which I think is unlikely. But if
someone is interested, it would be good if s/he would let me know
whether I should post it on the list or email it to her/him.

Two, if your use of the phrase 'IT koolies' expresses contempt, which I
think it does, it would be helpful if you would explain what is
contemptible about being a 'kooly/ie'. I do not think there is anything
bad about carrying someone else's load, or pulling someone else's weight
as rickshaw pullers do. They are putting in honest labour to earn a
living, and are workers like other workers.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to take part in this discussion beyond
this post for some time. But I will see if any of my IIT friends would
be interested in responding.

Tapas