[Reader-list] Shame on IITs

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 19 16:49:12 IST 2008

Dear Tapas

I think I am getting afflicted by the "I too want to say something on this topic" disease.

(I am not an IITian. I tried but did not make the mark in the JEE.)

The 'reservations' policies also has much to do (I think) with " there is a demand, let us ensure shortages and then dole out favours with a pay-back". Applied to  Education, it is one of the current day scenarios of the earlier 'licence raj'. The motive now might not be 'money' but the doling of 'politicised favours' towards targetted 'vote banks'. Creation and/or continuation of 'shortages' serves the purpose well.

The simplest solution for cutting through any discussions over or the need for  'reservations' is to expand the availability of 'educational opportunities', be they schools, colleges or Institutes of Higher Learning (such as IITs).

Intrestingly, two of (what I call) 'critical needs' of any country namely easily and affordably accesible Education Environment and Justice Environment are the cheapest to establish as compared to any of the other 'critical needs' (Health, Security etc). Yet in India ......

Kshmendra