[Reader-list] American Imperialism, Hindu Brahmanism, Islamic Terrorism

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 26 15:50:00 IST 2008

Dear Hasina Hasan

I would have thought that the manner in which I presented my thoughts, would by itself also have also reflected my own attitudes. Obviously I failed there. Lack of clarity of expression in my English has always been a failing of mine.

The thrust of my thoughts was that if after identifying or recognising (for oneself) a "negative" in a philosophy/ideology/country/person, only that "negative" is taken as the defining attribute of the philosophy/ideology/country/person, to the exclusion of all other attributes of that philosophy/ideology/country/person, then such obsessiveness clouds both intellect and the ability to look at things objectively. I would not want that to happen with me. It would 'limit' me as a person.

Now, to take the 3 examples I had used:

- I find 'American Imperialism' unacceptable and reprehensible but there are other aspects/attributes of the USA and Americans that I register/recognise as worthy examples.

- I find 'Hindu Brahmanism' unacceptable and reprehensible but there are other aspects/attributes of the Hindus and Hinduism that I register/recognise as worthy examples.

- I find 'Islamic Terrorism' unacceptable and reprehensible but there are other aspects/attributes of the Muslims and Islam that I register/recognise as worthy examples.

At the same time, I find it important (for myself) to realise that the practitioners/promoters of the "negatives" (of the 3 or other examples) firmy believe that theirs is the "right path", that theirs is the "justified and just way", that theirs is the "sanctioned" attitude. They have been so educated/tutored/conditioned/programmed. There is also the element of continuing to promote/practice simply because you have 'got away with doing so' in the past.

I also see (for myself) that it is crucial to understand what it is that provokes/triggers the "embedded beliefs" and that leads to the most inhuman and (worse than that) sub-human of acts. Without such understanding, it would be difficult for me to argue against the "negatives".

Kshmendra