[Reader-list] [Fwd: Re: American Imperialism, Hindu Brahmanism, Islamic Terrorism]

Tapas Ray tapasrayx at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 03:37:19 IST 2008

Hasina,

I am looking forward to reading more of your funny, insightful, and
intriguing comments!

Also, I am wondering if you have read my post (below) to mean that I
thought people have only instrumental value for *you*. That is not what
I meant. Apologies if that is how you read it. My post was poorly worded.

I read your "slogan" in the context of our discussion, in which I had
commented that political parties in India use certain groups for
political gain, even though they hate those groups. For instance,
Mayavati's party, which is supposedly fighting for the "lower" castes
against "higher" caste domination, has built a Brahmin base.

So, although it hates Brahmins and other "higher" castes, it recognises
and utilises their instrumental value. I do not know the exact caste
equations there, or details of the caste hierarchy other than the main
four, partly because I grew up among people who, like me, have no caste.

I thought your slogan meant you understood what I was saying about
Mayavati's party (and other parties in contexts other than caste-based
politics).

Tapas