[Reader-list] `Stranded Between Government and Opposition: The Politics of the CPI(M) Since 1989’

radhikarajen at vsnl.net radhikarajen at vsnl.net
Mon Jul 28 17:56:18 IST 2008

It would be really interesting to see how a western trained educationist, a student of political science and doctorate in on politics will see the dynamics of social changes and communism in general, CPI(M) in particular in India and its role in indian governance with the economic policies and their implementation.

  It would also be of interest to see and have a studied look at Indian national Congress in three phases, from 1947 to 1969 as it has had the full backing of all citizens except a few radical thinkers of "hindu nation" instead of a secular nation, INC and its workforce at the grassroot levels, Sevadal, its self less and selfish leaders in the governance, in this phase when mahatma wished that the INC should be dissolved and new outfits for political  existence should be formed,

  In II phase, when old and young "turks" had different vision for the nation, how the party got divided and the catch phrase of garibi hatao, became vote catching buzz word, to decieve very people for whom it was sought to be succour, the imposition of mergency, survival game of leadership at any cost to the nation, the period of 1969 to 1981 is another chapter of the nation where the grassroot of the party was completely replaced with hired slogan shouters, vehicles used for generating "public" presence at the leaders speech, thus leaders are those who could bring in "crowds".
  The next phase is of total de-generation, as morality shrunk to new low, to save his the uncle and aunties with kickbacks, uncle Qs sheltored and supported by the leaders, the phase also so india as big brother in the neighbourhood active in un-necessary deployment and death of soldiers for lost cause in lanka, regional parties and fuedal lords gaining acceptance to play king makers role in public life and governance.PV N Rao, and degenration in morals and ethics of public life went hand in hand as not taking a decision was also a decision, as no governance was bad governance.
   Then came the total chaos in governance, each fuedal and regional lords seeking their pound of flesh to be in governance or lack of it. Every political party talked of farmers, dalits, trodden and down trodden, but none performed the democratic rule of governance as political compulsions of coalition ruled the governance.

   It would be wonderful even to ponder over the role of left parties from 1962 when the walls of Kolkatta were painted red welcoming mao, to talk of nationalinterest of Nuclear deal ,as INC today talks of power, not energy but political power to it prince in waiting ?

  Regards.