[Reader-list] invitation for daylong interaction on adivasi struggle against vedanta

Nilankur Das nilankur at cultureunplugged.com
Wed Jul 30 13:22:45 IST 2008

There is this 13.07 minute movie on the lament of Niyamgiri, Orissa.
People/organisations/activists who are interested can see the movie
online, pls follow the link

http://cultureunplugged.com/play/57

best,

nilankur

On 30-Jul-08, at 1:08 PM, Asit asitreds wrote:

> *ROUNDTABLE ON DANGERS OF MINING IN NIYAMGIRI MOUNTAIN IN ORISSA*
>
> *An Invitation*
>
> * *
>
> *2 August 2008 *
>
> *at Vishwa Yuvak Kendra, New Delhi*
>

> The reform agenda of the state since 1991 has seen a massive
> exploitation of
> natural resource by way of giving it for mega 'development' projects
> in
> India. This has led to huge land alienation, livelihood loss,
> depletion of
> rich bio-diversity.  There is a constant threat on the socio-
> cultural and
> economic base of indigenous communities and those living in the
> periphery of
> this so-called incredible India. People are pushed to the brink as
> the state
> hands over country's natural preserves, affecting people dependent
> on it,
> with impunity to big corporate houses. Forced eviction,
> displacement, loss
> of socio-cultural moorings and livelihood are the norms in these
> cases.
>

> Niyamgiri Mountain, situated in Kalahandi and Rayagada districts, in
> Orissa
> is one such area, which is at present facing the threat of being
> mined. Its
> inhabitants are the most traditional Dongaria Kandh community whose
> life is
> dependent on this mountain. For ages, they have preserved this
> mountain as
> the Lord of law and this is why a rich primary forest can be seen
> there even
> at this age of deforestation and loss of green cover on the earth.
> People
> dependent on Niyamgiri have been up against the mining plans and
> have shown
> their anguish and determination to fight it out in more than one
> occasion.
>

> As the fate of Niyamgiri waits in the judicial corridors, there is a
> need to
> understand why the traditional community is refusing to accept the
> state
> sponsored development agenda and what Niyamgiri means to them. This
> is not a
> mere struggle against a Company but the struggle is to protect a
> civilization woven around the mountain for centuries.
>

> For understanding this phenomenon *a day-long* interactive session is
> organized at Vishwa Yuvak Kendra (Seminar Hall II), Circular Road,
> Chanakyapuri, New Delhi – 110021 *on Saturday 2 August 2008 at 10
> am. *
>

> In this meet activists, academicians, lawyers and other concerned
> citizens
> will deliberate on the Indigenous peoples' struggle against state's
> reform*
> *agenda and explore ways to address the situation in their given
> context.

> [...]

nilankur

Culture Unplugged Studios
www.cultureunplugged.com
India | USA | New Zealand

Clover Centrum, 2nd Floor, Galaxy Society,
Plot No.5, Boat Club Road, Pune 411001,
Maharashtra, India, Tel: 020 - 65002520

"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary
act"
-George Orwell