[Reader-list] Chithralekha's Burning Auto

Vivek Narayanan vivek at sarai.net
Sun Jun 8 20:41:55 IST 2008

Hi all, this is a recent follow up related to an independent fellowship project by P. Jenny  and C. Christy, relating to their research on the Dalit woman autorickshaw driver in Kerala, Chithralekha...

First posting: http://mail.sarai.net/pipermail/reader-list/2007-March/008969.html

Final presentation: http://cid-eb2914bb9c5b6880.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Chithra%20Lekha/Chithra%20Lekha.doc

Chithralekha Gets a New Autorickshaw:
http://venukm.blogspot.com/2008/06/chithralekha-gets-new-auto.html

Cheers
vivek

> [...]
> 51.C.R.Ramesh(Thrissur)                    :      Rs 200.00
> 52.Harinarayanan (Mumbai)  :                Rs 1,000.00
> 53.U.K.Nair(Mumbai)            :                Rs 1,000.00
> 54.Harishankar,(Mumbai)      :                Rs 1,000.00
> 55.Dr.J.Devika (CDS) and others :         Rs 1,100.00
> 56.Balakrishnan V.Rtd Officer,
> Shipyard,Cochin
> (Narath,Kannur) :      }                             Rs    500.00
> 57.K.P.Girija (Hydbad)                :           Rs   500.00
> 58.Bindulakhsmi/Suprathik (Mumbai)    Rs 5,000.00
> 59.Prof.K.G.Shankara Pillai                 :       Rs 500.00
> 60.Prof.Sujatha.R,
> Chennai Mathematical Institute    }       :Rs 1,500.00
> 61.Mr.Pradeepan,Kannur                    :Rs    500.00
> 62.Prof. Alladi Sitharam IISC,B'lore     :Rs 2,000.00
> 63.Prof. Annapoorna Sitharam    ,,        :Rs 2,000.00
> 64.Prof Shobha Madan               ,,          :Rs 2,000.00
> 65.Prof Gadadhar Mishra            ,,         :Rs 1,000.00
> 66.Mr.Aftab Ellath(Champad/UAE)      :Rs 3,000.00
> 67.Mr.Krishnakumar.A.V(UAE)            :Rs1,000.00
> 68.Mr.Abdul Kareem M.K (UAE)        :Rs 1,000.00
> 69. A friend from New Delhi
>      (Prefers anonymity)        }                :Rs 5,000.00
> 70.Mr.Mitesh Damania (US)               :Rs 10,000.00
> 71.Dr.Ratheesh Radhakrishnan            : Rs 1,000.00
> 72.Ms.Smriti,Nokia Seimens
>  Network Group,B'lore.          }            : Rs 1,500.00
> 72.Mr.Vinod Chandran,
>  Ivory Group,Dubai           }                   :Rs  I,000.00
>
> 73.Mr.P.Dasan,
> Ani Gas Agencies,Kannur                    : Rs 1,000.00
> 74.Mr.P.Shekhara Poduval                   : Rs 1,000.00
> 75.Mr.P.C.Jose, Alakkode                    : Rs    100.00
> 76.Mr.Anil, Alakkode                            : Rs    300.00
> 77,Mr.K.K.Kochu                                 :  Rs    100.00
> 78.Mr.V.Krishnan ,Kannur                   :  Rs     50.00
> 79.Mr.K.Rajan, Kannur                         : Rs      50.00
> 80.Mr.K.M.Venugopalan,Payyanur       : Rs    500.00
>      81.Mr.Dileepraj (Thuravoor)                  : Rs 2,000.00
> 82.Ms.Reshma Bharadwaj                   :Rs 2,000.00
> 83.Mr.Damodar Prasad(C-dit)                     :Rs    500.00
> 84.Dr.T.V.Sajeev    (KFRI,Thrissur)             :Rs    500.00
> 85.Dr.V.J Varghese(CDS,Thiruvananthapuran) Rs 500.00
>
> 86.Dr.Hari P Sharma} (President,SANSAD,Canada) : Rs 5,000.00
> 87.M/s South Asian Network
> for Secularism And Democracy
> (SANSAD),Canada                                   :Rs 5,000.00
>  ** 88.Mr.Joy Charles(US)                             :Rs 5,000.00
>
>  89-92: Donations through Ambedkarscolarships:
>
> (*1).Mr.Benjamin Kaila.(US)              :  *Rs.5,000.00
>
>              *(2). Prof Anand Swarup, Australia     :*Rs.5,000.00
>
>       *(3). Prof K Ravishankar(US)              :*Rs 5,000.00*
>  *
> *(4).Mr Karthik Subramanian, US       :*Rs 5,000.00.

93.
 <94.humaneight at gmail.com>A friend who prefers anonymity                  :
Rs   600.00
94.Mr Rajan Robert, Kollam                      : Rs 1,000.00
95.M/s Neethi Agencies,
Puthiyatheru,Kannur      }                          :Rs 1,000.00

                                         *TOTAL DONATIONS
** RECEIVED AS ON  07-06-2008:  Rs 153,700.00 *
*(Rupees One Lakh Fiftythree Thousand and Seven hundred ):*
 *This figure excludes bank charges for collection of  out station cheques
and DDs ;
it aslo excludes the small amount of interests accrued  for the money
deposited with the bank .                 **
*
Chithralekha had been violently deprived of her means of livelihood by
political actors encouraged by the characteristically casteist and sexist
hate toward a dalit woman who wanted to stand up against the hegemony at the
workplace. Eversince  her autorikshaw was destroyed in 2005 December by
putting it on fire , Chithralekha has been eking out livelihood by going out
for unskilled manual jobs in house construction and  farming  sectors.
Hence,   notwithstanding the outcome of the cumbersome legal battle in which
she needs support too, steps to immediately rehabilitate her became the
imperative for all concerned .