[Reader-list] FW: Missing Public Intellectual by S Srinivasaraju

TaraPrakash taraprakash at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 20:51:14 IST 2008

"The simple fact about the just concluded polls is that there was no big
point
made, no big idea discussed. No political leader or party took the risk
of espousing a big cause. We still do not know what ideas we defeated
and what we accepted.
One would assume that the elections in India are otherwise about ideas. Was
Karnataka election an exception?

"what can be seen as a symbolic decapitation of a public
> intellectual, a man who once actively filled up the 'letters to the
> editor' column on issues of public concern in Karnataka, Mumtaz Ali
> Khan, is now a cabinet minister in the new BJP government. He has
> submitted himself to BJP's tokenism of representing a minority person
> in the cabinet. This, after BJP did not give a single ticket to a
> person from any minority community to contest the elections."
That seems very correct. However, the author would look like practicing what
he seems to be preaching if he had not singled out a supposed intellectual
who joined BJP. It appears that Srinivasaraju is unhappy as BJP is the
gainer. Many others have left the "intellectual" sphere to join the
"pragmatic" sphere for the obvious perks. People previously known as
"intellectuals" like Prabhat Patnaik were hellbent to defend all the
brutal/"pragmatic" steps taken by CPI(M) Even though previously they had
been lauded for opposing the "right wing" Congress for the similar
"pragmatism".
Sanjay Nirupam, whom the Sangh Parivar thought an "intellectual" for writing
in Shiv Sena's mouthpiece Samna, lost his untouchability status once he
joined Congress. Srinivasaraju would appear more "intellectual" if he had
named such parties who are always open to anyone who renounces his/her party
for the perks from different ones. Now BJP is not the only one,
intellectuals have renounced their ideology to join other parties too.
The question whether one should consider individual trees or the entire wood
is very pertinent. In the context of the political parties, I think many
trees stand out in the woods. It is not the wood that shapes them, it is the
tree/s which shape the wood. Remember that the woods called Shiv Sena and
BJP were not involved in the recent attacks on the North Indians, attack on
Loksatta journalist or on Samna office in Maharashtra. Even though the trees
that were involved were part of those woods.
If one likes to join the woods and all the woods have same kind of trees in
the available woods, one would look for the maximum perks that a particular
wood can offer.