[Reader-list] Amaranth Yatra

rashneek kher rashneek at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 11:30:25 IST 2008

Dear Sonia,

I am afraid about your understanding of the "recentness" of the Amarnath
Piligrimmage is far from correct.Please do read Rajatarangni and you will
know that this was a piligrimmage even in ancient times.It was called
Amreshwar then.Just go the appendix of the Stein's translation to see how
old the piligrimmage is.
I cannot say with precision who started this new idea of it being a recent
pilgrimmage but it somehow seems to suit the Kashmiriyat wadis to say
that.It was only re-discovered in 1860 by the Malik shephered.
While I agree that the piligrimmage should be restored to its 15 days time
and no more,I cannot cannot understand how 100 acres of land could have
changed the demography of Kashmir.Strange as it may seem the very people who
by driving away almost the entire Pandit population have changed the
demography seem to be crying foul now.
It is also pertinent to note that while Vitasta was used to receiving the
nirmal(the water post the pooja mixed with flowers) it was Sheikh Abdullah
who built all the toilets on the Viatasta banks so that the Hindus could no
longer pray or do Sandhya(the prayer rituals) on the banks of the
Vitasta.Did that not pollute,I wonder.The Anchar and Nallah Maer were
reduced to garbage dumbs and so were the abodes of Mangleshwar Bhairava and
Nandkeshwar Bhairwa(in small ponds)so that somehow their sanctity could be
defiled.In process not just the environment but entire Kashmir got
polluted.Eve Dal is a pale shadow of its past.Who has occupied it?Certainly
not the SASB or any Indian Agency or the Army.
The very leaders who are now at the forefront of this agitation including
the venrable Geelani Saab are the biggest encorachers of land in Kashmir.Why
did they not speak out when thousnads of kanals of Forest land were being
cleaned over Shopian and Bandipore,I wonder.?
The Lingam is melting because even the Lord is sick of us
"Kashmiris".Meanwhile "the curse of Lakshmi lives on"

Love

Rashneek

On 6/30/08, S. Jabbar <sonia.jabbar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Friends,
> A considerably flattened and shortened (read boring) version appeared in
> the
> HT today.
> Best
> sj
>
> Politics of Pilgrimage
>
> By Sonia Jabbar
>
> Until two weeks ago, the annual pilgrimage to the Amarnath cave in the high
> Himalayas bore testimony to the symbiotic relationship between Kashmiri
> Muslims and the Hindus of the plains.  The continuing communal tension,
> bandhs, demonstrations, stone-pelting mobs, and retaliatory fire by the
> CRPF
> and police that have taken the lives of four lives so far, threaten to
> overturn it.
>
> For once the Government of India cannot blame Pakistan. The credit for the
> chaos that recalls the vitiated atmosphere of the 1990s must firmly be
> placed at the feet of a few key players in the state, some of who have
> tried
> to gain dubious advantage in an election year.
>
> The first on the list of honour is the head of state, Lt. Gen. S.K. Sinha
> (retd.).  Due to retire on June 4 this year, the octogenarian governor
> nonetheless insisted that the state government, in a wholly illegal move,
> transfer 100 acres of forest land to the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB)
> of which he is the president.  This was done ostensibly to build permanent
> accommodation for the pilgrims en route to the cave.
>
> Correspondence between the concerned departments reveal that the Forest
> Department had strongly objected to the transfer, citing the fragile
> environment and the downright illegality of taking over forest land, but
> the
> Forest and Law Ministers had pushed it through regardless.  Was it
> cussedness, corruption or a sheer slide into dementia that prompted these
> gents to do what they did?  One will never know, because the former
> Governor
> has retreated into a stony silence, and the ministers in question are too
> busy doing gymnastics to appear as the injured party.
>
> Once the information of the land transfer was leaked, and the concerned
> Forest Minister, Qazi Afzal of the PDP questioned, his party turned tail
> and
> placed the blame squarely on the Congress.  The Congress blackmailed the
> PDP
> into obliging the governor and would have blocked the construction of the
> Mughal Road, which is to link the Muslims areas of Rajouri and Poonch with
> the Valley.  Or such was the breathless claim of a personage no less than
> the Deputy Chief Minister, Muzaffar Hussain Beig.  The Valley erupted.  The
> Congress was accused of communalizing the atmosphere and the PDP threatened
> for the nth time to pull out of the government.  In a stunning revelation,
> [...]

Rashneek Kher
Wandhama Massacre-The Forgotten Human Tragedy
http://www.kashmiris-in-exile.blogspot.com
http://www.nietzschereborn.blogspot.com