[Reader-list] What Mughal Road didn ¹ t that shrine land-transfer plans did - Kavita Suri

rashneek kher rashneek at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 13:55:23 IST 2008

Dear Sonia,

They did...but with a pen

just that no one heard because they did not create ruckus,block streets,burn
tyres and CRPF pickets....did not have the power to pull down a
government...

Awwazon ke bazzaron main khamoshe pehchanne kyon...

Best

Rashneek

On 6/30/08, S. Jabbar <sonia.jabbar at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's interesting that all this is coming out now.  I had no idea about the
> 10,000 trees cut to make way for the Mughal Rd or the Markhor sanctuary
> being threatened. Both are reasons enough to rethink the project, even
> though I feel the people of Rajouri & Poonch need a second link to the
> outside world to end their isolation that have made them 2nd class citizens
> of J&K since 1947. The Mughal Road project has been going on for quite
> sometime now, it's strange that Dr. Singh, Agnishekhar et al did not raise
> their voices earlier... Or did I miss something?
>

> On 6/30/08 1:21 PM, "Aditya Raj Kaul" <kauladityaraj at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The Truth Behind
>

> *What Mughal Road didn't that shrine land-transfer plans
> > did*
> **
> http://www.thestatesman.net/page.news.php?clid=2&id=210771&usrsess=1
>

> Kavita Suri
> JAMMU, June 29: Three years ago, when the then chief minister of
> > Jammu and
> Kashmir Mufti Mohammed Sayeed decided to revive the centuries-old
> > Mughal
> Road in the region, no one in Kashmir even uttered a single word on
> > the
> massive destruction of environment in Pir Panjal mountain ranges of
> > the
> Himalayas.
>

> The revival of the old Mughal Road which was once used by the
> > great Mughals
> to travel to Kashmir from Lahore and its subsequent
> > reconstruction ordered
> by Mufti Sayeed not only witnessed destruction of over
> > 10,000 trees and 26
> wild life sanctuaries but also fragmented the habitat of
> > the
> highly-endangered wild Markhor goat. India is estimated to have a
> > total
> population of only 300-200 of this species, which is found in
> > southwest
> Kashmir's Hirpora, Lachipora and Limber wildlife sanctuaries falling
> > on
> Mughal Road.
>

> Surprisingly, all the political parties remained silent over
> > the issue of
> degradation of environment and destruction of the wild life
> > sanctuaries due
> to the work on the Mughal Road.
>

> But when the Jammu and
> > Kashmir government recently decided to transfer 40
> hectares of forest land at
> > Baltal and Domail for the proposed camping sites
> located on the right side of
> > the Sindh River for the purpose of constructing
> temporary shelters for the
> > Amarnath pilgrims, the political parties in
> Kashmir have opposed it tooth and
> > nail on the pretext of environment
> degradation.
>

> The issue had deeply
> > polarised the entire state. Politicians and other
> organisations in Jammu see
> > it as a deliberate move to suppress Hindu
> [...]

Rashneek Kher
Wandhama Massacre-The Forgotten Human Tragedy
http://www.kashmiris-in-exile.blogspot.com
http://www.nietzschereborn.blogspot.com