[Reader-list] Amaranth Yatra

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Mon Jun 30 18:08:05 IST 2008

Dear Pawan,

Just because a terrain does not have trees, or that the altitude it
is located in happens to be above the treeline, does not mean that it
is not ecologically sensitive.
Often, it is precisely terrain of this nature, such as for instance
is at the vicinity of the mouth of the Gomukh glacier above Gangotri,
(again above the treeline) that is extremely fragile and needs very
careful nurturing.

I know for a fact that the ecosystem of the Gomukh glacial region is
very badly threatened because of the completely haphazard way in
which access to this region (and the logistics of pilgrimage and
tourism) have been managed. I can very easily see that something
similar can happen in the case of Amarnath.

I would urge you not to make the discussion of this question into a
'Hindu' question. It is not one, it is about the way in which State
managed, so called, 'Temple Development Boards', enter into schemes
to grab land, and about the ecological consequences of their land-
grabbing propensities.

You might recall that some months back you tried to pose the question
of the building of a shipping canal between India and Sri Lanka as a
matter of hurting Hindu sentiments. I endorsed your opposition to the
so called 'Sethu-Samudram Shipping Channel' scheme, because to me it
represented a threat to a fragile marine ecosystem, not on the basis
of its alleged injury to Hindu sentiments. I also pointed out to you
and to others on the list that the protectors of Hindutva, while
proposing a Panama Canal style waterway cutting through the apex of
the Deccan peninsula as an alternative to the 'Sethu-Samudram' plan
were  also proposing what was certainly a blueprint for an ecological
disaster. Here too, my opposition to the proposed Amarnath Land Grab
scheme has nothing to do, either with the fact that Amarnath is a
Hindu shrine, or that many of those opposing the scheme happen to be
Muslim. You will notice, that not a single voice in opposition (in
Kashmir) to the land grab scheme has said anything against the
tradition of pilgrimage to the Amarnath shrine.

Opposition to the proposed (and now rescinded) land grab proposal by
the SASB in the Amarnath case does not automatically translate into
partisanship across the Hindu-Muslim question in Kashmir. Those who
translate it as such, whether they are Hindu, or Muslim, are
needlessly confusing a straightforward matter by bringing their own
secterian biases to bear on the issue. No one should be misled by
such attempts at confusion.

best

Shuddha

Shuddhabrata Sengupta