[Reader-list] Gandu world, words, Ajay and Raju

Vivek Narayanan vivek at sarai.net
Wed Mar 5 02:03:00 IST 2008

Dear Kirdar and Mohit,

(incidentally my "bullshit" folder is reserved essentially for people
who habitually post more than two repetitive, content-less mails in a
day, to this list)

Firstly to Kirdar: you say you have a problem with the "language and the
symbolism" of Inder Salim's posting, although you still do not give
direct quotations from the piece to explain yourself.  As a result, I
still have no idea what you mean by symbolism.  Please explain, giving
direct quotations please, what about the *symbolism * you consider
offensive, especially religiously offensive, which is what you are
implying.  This is not self evident, because I especially do not find
any offensive religious references in Inder's posting.  (Apart from the
fact that, in keeping with many ancient South Asian philosophical
traditions, he denies the existence of god.  Nothing new or offensive in
that.) Only Ravana is called a gandu-- and while some other south
indians on this list may, and perhaps should, take offense to such
outright denigration of our great hero, Rama, on the other side, is at
all points referred to by Inder Salim as "lord Rama" or suchlike.  And
of course, Rama's moral ambiguity in relation to Sita is not Inder's
invention but lies at the very core of Valmiki's account itself.
Valmiki was a poet, and thus not so clear cut, and far more willing to
admit to ambiguity than some of his stupid, literal-minded followers
today.  As Ramanujan argues: if we truly respect and love the traditions
of the Ramayan, then we should want to celebrate the dizzying
multiplicity of versions and interpretations.

Incidentally, it is only homosexuals that ought to be offended by Inder
Salim's putting the word "gandu".  However (I could be wrong) something
in the post tells me that Inder has perhaps nothing against homosexuals,
and maybe, that he "rather relishes" them.

So on the question of whether certain words should be used on this list,
I think we disagree, Kirdar.  I could, if needed, go through each
instance of a "bad word" in Inder's posting and justify its use there.
I doubt very much that the crematorium workers in Inder's story would
talk like high society butterflies.  They might well use ritual insults
to add colour and rhythm to their sentences-- we all know swearing can
be an art form, although some of us are not so skilled in our own use! I
have  no problem with such words appearing in our texts the way they
appear habitually in the mouths of our people-- I would be against us
using those words against each other of course, but that is a different
question altogether.

For a neuroscientist's view on the subject, take a look at this:
http://www.wired.com/culture/culturereviews/magazine/15-09/pl_print (I
read the whole essay online, but I can't find it now-- can anyone?)

But I do still request an explanation *with supporting quotes* that
tells what about Inder's "symbolism" you find offensive.  Please.

And to Mohit-- you ask what made me "suddenly jump in this issue".
Well, I could ask you the same thing, but I already know the answer: we
both jumped in suddenly because everyone has a right to jump in, and
does so, on this list.  Although, if I may say so, I feel I jumped in a
little less suddenly than you, and I jumped in because you jumped in,
and because I felt that Inder's posting was not being read carefully enough.

However, here lies a mystery.  Kirdar says, in his reply below, that he
has "no problem with the intention of Inder Salim's story" and that he
even "appreciates" parts of it.  Furthermore, he argues that Inder's
note has been "simply misunderstood" as a provocation.  How true!  So in
other words, he agrees with me that there is nothing, when considered
closely, to take religious offence from Inder's posting.  (What he
objects to, I guess, is art.  Like Plato, he would wish to exile the
poets from the republic.)  Mohit, for his part, insists that he has not
"said anything against [Inder's] posting" -- which suggests that he has
no problems with it and does not take any offence from it all.

This means that I was wrong, and I apologise for assuming that Kirdar
and Mohit were offended.  Going by the quotes above, at least, neither
of them found any problematic religious offence in Inder's post-- which
is exactly as it should be!

Perhaps we might now begin talking about the actual substance of Inder's
post?

Time out
Vivek